Being safe . . . a little too safe

Rowroy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
First, a little background:
When I was a kid, I saw two boats collide and one of the drivers didn't have his kill switch lanyard attached. He was thrown out of the boat, but his six year old son was not. The boat continued moving in a forward semi-circle at 40 mph until is ran aground on the shore while his father watched helplessly from the water. Luckily the kid wasn't seriously injured.

I always think of that boy when I attach my lanyard, and will always continue to do so - everytime I'm in the water.

With the beautiful weather, my son and I spent the weekend on the water. As our day drew to a close Saturday evening, I was approaching the dock prepairing to wait in the small line of boats that were to be loaded.

When it was our turn, I turned the key to fire up the outboard but she wouldn't start. Crank, crank,crank . . . . nothing. What's the deal? This thing ran great all day long!

Just to keep things moving, I used the trolling motor to get as close to the trailer as possible, then jumped into the 58? water and man-handled the boat into position so I could winch it on, then we were on our way. I was scratching my head the whole way home. 'It has to be electrical!', I said.

Once I arrived at home, I broke out the service manual and began checking things . . . . looking for continuity here and resistance there . . . What could it be? Then my son, who was sitting in the boat, noticed that I had a "red string" attached to my PDF. Aw crap! It was the kill lanyard. Apparently when I stood up, I forgot to unclip the lanyard and it closed the switch. That explains why I wasn't getting a spark!

At least it was an easy and inexpensive fix. Good job, son!

Jack Daniels

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Being safe . . . a little too safe

Good point of the story, my boat doesnt have a kill switch on it. I boat with my children all the time, guess what im buying now. I always thought it wasnt a big deal, but your story rang home to me. Thanks for bringing me to realitiy.

Shizzy

Ensign

nothing wrong with being safe while the boy is with you.:D

David Greer

Petty Officer 1st Class

the children are never too young to teach a couple of emergency procedures, such as yanking the kill switch; throwing into neutral; throw the anchor. Mine was about 6 when she had to help me bypass an ignition with jumper cables on the starter.

Nandy

Commander

Im installing one too this weekend...

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

the children are never too young to teach a couple of emergency procedures, such as yanking the kill switch; throwing into neutral; throw the anchor. Mine was about 6 when she had to help me bypass an ignition with jumper cables on the starter.

I agree. In the world of flying, people with a personal aircraft often teach a spouse, child, etc. how to do basic maneuvering, so that they could fly the airplane if they had to. As soon as they are ready, teaching that person how to land the aircraft is also commonly done. While many of these "pinch hitters" will go on to earn a pilot's license later on, they can be a real lifesaver even before that point.

The more folks onboard who can operate the "craft," the better!

itsaboattime

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Dude you can never be too safe. Forgetful maybe........but not too safe, specially around your kids. My youngest just turned 14 in November and she is signed up for coxwain classes this summer through the IDNR. All 4 of of my kids will have gone through them after she gets hers.

ebry710

Ensign

Not a bad story. I figure these things happen.

81 beachcomber

Petty Officer 2nd Class

definetly a good idea to have one. when i was boating with my family about 10 years ago we were cruising into town in our speedboat. I looked back just in time to see a guy bombing around in his zodiac behind us. the wind caught his baseball cap and he reached up for it losing his grip on the outboard, the boat turned and he kept going straight-into the water. we chased down the boat which was idling around the bay. we grabed it and pulled the kill switch (which was obviously not connected to him) we then went and got him back in his boat. He was really grateful and really stunned.

moral of this story - DONT GRAB FOR YOUR HAT!! haha or connect the kill switch.

on a side note our outboard didnt have the pull cord (we lost it) so we had a piece of string wrapped around the connection to be able to start it.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

I think a pretty good driving force to get my boat on the water is simply to return to the dock with some of these stories to tell. Haha! Some of the stories I read on here.. priceless.

81 beachcomber

Petty Officer 2nd Class

haha. yup theres always at least one good story from each season

erikgreen

Captain

58 deg water will kill you, watch this video, from the coast guard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1xohI3B4Uc

I like to dive in 58 degree water. Normally Superior is about 42 degrees when we go up the first time in summer, sometimes it's at 39 or a bit less. Either of those will kill you in short order without any protective gear.

58 is really comfy, I can wear a shortie, no gloves, no hood, and aqua socks and dive all day.

A wetsuit or dry suit is more important on a boat up there than a PFD, although the PFD is required by law. If you're in 42 degree water for more than 5-10 minutes without a suit, all the PFD does is help us find your body.

Erik

dbkerley

Chief Petty Officer

I've added kill circuits to every boat I've had and I keep the lanyard attached to my life jacket so I will wear it faithfully.

Tyme2fish

Commander

When I bought my boat, the dealer took me for a test run. I observed that he attached the coiled lanyard around his leg.

Hmm,thought me, that's a good idea.

Attaching the lanyard around my thigh is unobtrusive and out of the way while I operate the controls.

Silverskeeter

Seaman

I have a kill switch ,but no lanyard ! That story right there just made me think.Thanks for that,seriously. I will be getting a lanyard before I hit the water next time !

royal0014

Master Chief Petty Officer

Yet another resurrected, year-old post. :D

SkeeterDuke15

Seaman

how do you install a kill switch on a 1983 merc 25hp tiller? mine has never had one

eclark53520

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Will be installing one on my boat before next season.