1974 Glastron 16'6' - Cant find model #

tomatoslayer

Recruit
Yesterday I bought a 1974 Glastron tri-hull 16'6" with an aqua lift logo. I've spent hours trying to find what the actual model is. I'm guessing it is a V166. I even checked the Classic Glastron site, and dont see an exact match. It has the green stripe. Please help. This is my first boat. I dont know anything about boats, except what I've read here over the last 2 days.
I allready discovered floor rot, and began tearing it out. I've read a lot of threads, and allready find this site priceless! I did the motor wiggle test, and found that the transom is solid! Big releif! I have a lot of restoration to do, and look foreward to meeting all of you in the process. I will post pics, as soon as I figure out how.
Thanks.

jcsercsa

Captain
Re: 1974 Glastron 16'6' - Cant find model #

HI there tomatoslayer, and welcome !!!

Would love to see her , I am just finishing a 1976 sportster, Love it !! cant wait to see yours !!!

If your doing a rebuild of her, start a thread in the restro and build section, my thread is [ pic of work so far ] there is quite a few of us glastron owners there !!!

Ok again welcome !!! John

tomatoslayer

Recruit

Thanks for the welcome John! Even before I registered, and was just looking through some threads, I had viewed yours. Yours is the one that gave me the courage to start the tearing-up of the deck, after owning my first boat for about 24 hours! All the pics say alot. I think I can do this. What one man can do, another man can also do! I will be studying your restoration, and learning a lot in the process. I will follow your advise on starting a thread in the resto. section, and post some pics.
Thanks again for the response.
Jeff.

jcsercsa

Captain

Cool there Jeff , That was the thought when i started my thread , hoping it would help others learn from my mistakes !!!!! hahaha theres been a few !!! I am so geeked today I am heading out on mine and primering mine !!!!! well after i do a bunch of cleaning !!!!!!!!!!!! lol

Ok any time you need some help just give me a shout !!! and i will be looking for your thread !! welcome aboard !!! John

TJShag13

Seaman Apprentice

This is hard to explain but...at the stern of the boat if you look up at the bottom of the decking (in the splash well area) you should see a little slip of paper that is lightly fiber glassed over. You can cut this pice of paper out and that will say 'serial number tag' and then a string of numbers. If you go back over the the classic glastron site with these numbers you should be able to figure out the exact year and model of your boat. That is unless you are like me and have a 1973 model produced in 1972 and that creates another whole issue. If you find your numbers but still can't figure out what the year and model are you could email a VERY helpful guy at the Glastron/Larson company:

Jerome Haggerty
International Customer Service Representative
jhaggerty@genmar-mn.com

GOOD LUCK!