87 24' Bayliner Ciera??

Salt Life

Cadet
Hey folks,
Looking at buying this bayliner next week. I took an initial look at it and found that it's in a pretty "weathered" shape. It looks like the fuel tank was replaced in it, the fiberglass has been redone underneath the aft bed and the tank is aluminum. My guess is the original tank was plastic?? The oil pan on the OMC needs replacement. The guy says that it started to rust out and has been leaking for some time now. Has anybody out there had any luck replacing that without jacking up the motor? Gel coat is pretty dull. Lookin' for the best way to shine that up if anybody has any tricks. I'll be going back in a couple days to do a compression test and engine run and maybe start throwing some numbers around. The little kitchenette is about worthless, I don't have pictures of that but if anybody has ever re-done that some ideas would be great. I'm new to this forum here and it seems like a guy can get a pile of information from here.

I appreciate the input,
Thanks

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 87 24' Bayliner Ciera??

lets see some pics if u got em. My tank is factory and it is aluminum. i would be concerned about previous fiberglass repairs having to be made, more than engine problems. i envy u though, I have always wanted a Ciera!

Salt Life

Cadet

Heres a few pics I took.
My guess is if the tank is original, then there was water in the boat at one time. I can't really think of any other reason they would have to re-do the floor underneath the aft bed.

Attachments

• Bayliner F.jpg
    Bayliner F.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Bayliner InsideP.jpg
    Bayliner InsideP.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Bayliner InsideS.jpg
    Bayliner InsideS.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Bayliner OMC.jpg
    Bayliner OMC.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Bayliner S.jpg
    Bayliner S.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 0

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

yep, I love the way those look with the black above the rubrail...theres a few around here for 9000 bucks!!! let us know what u find out about the oil pan though...

Salt Life

Cadet

The guy is asking 4000 with the trailer. Trailer is going to need new leaf springs soon!!

dan t.

Lieutenant Junior Grade

first things first, check the stringers, tap with a small hammer, a sharp crack is good news, a dull thud or if the hammer bounces means delamination or ROT. good luck