Need help trouble shooting a 1999 Johnson outboard.

putzee52

Seaman Apprentice
I bought a used 1999 sylvan boat with a johnson 9.9 on it. Supposedly it has a 15 horsepower carb on it.

Last year first two times it ran great then began to stall at idle. So i replaced the fuel lines, plugs and cleaned the filter. I also dismantled the carb and rebuilt it. Now having it out today, Starting at high rpm it ran fine. As soon as i dropped it to idle it stalled. Once in gear and running high runs fine, but down in the low rpm it would "Hiccup" and stall.

One other thing i noticed is a white substance, looking like calcium coming from the prop. I saw it on there after removing the boat from the lake and it felt oily. I would really like to make this motor a little more reliable, so any help is always appreciated.
Jay

putzee52

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Need help trouble shooting a 1999 Johnson outboard.

One fun piece i forgot to add is it runs fine in my driveway. However as soon as it hits the lake it is time for issues.

putzee52

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Need help trouble shooting a 1999 Johnson outboard.

Carb rebuild kit was used. All parts were soaked in carb cleaning solution overnite. Last year. When it would act up if i move the idle air/fuel idle screw you are talking about it would quickly start purring like a kitten