Volvo 5.8fl PHUE freeze plugs

robtown

Seaman Apprentice
Just inherited a 1996 Monterey 210 with a volvo 5.8fl PHUE penta duoprop setup.

This boat was sitting out in the elements for 6 years untouched (shame really, it was in pretty good shape before it's "vacation"...)

I have not got a service manual yet, I just got it in the driveway last Thursday, and have been cleaning, assessing, and tearing out rotten stuff.

I know it needs a carb rebuild, but I did crank it on saturday and it purred for about 10 seconds before the carb loaded up and flooded.

Here's my issue:
I can see 5 of the 6 freeze plugs on the side of the block have popped, the 6th has obviously shifted a little. Hopefully they served thier purpose and so far I see nothing that indicates the block is cracked.

These plugs are going to be easy enough to replace. Anybody have a learned opinion about whether rubber freeze plugs that bolt in would be sufficient?

Or do I need to back with Brass "tap in" type freeze plugs? I only want to do this once, but I don't want to invest a bunch more time and money until I see it run on water and can be sure that the block is ok.

Here's the more important question:
I was told by a shadetree mechanic that this engine has 2 freeze plugs in the back of the block inside the bell housing. I have searched and searched online for schematics or anything else that will indicate if has those 2 plugs back there or not.

It LOOKS like it's not the case based on what I can find online for that engine.

Does anybody know if the Volvo 5.8 Penta has freeze plugs on the back of the block?

The 6 on the sides of the block can be replaced without pulling the whole motor (I hope)... if there are freeze plugs inside the bell housing, then it's gotta come out completely...

I'll get the service manual next week, but I doubt if it's going to tell me much about the freeze plugs...

Thanks!

robtown

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Volvo 5.8fl freeze plugs

Thank you.

I read it. I don't see any of the external signs of cracking it describes. Nor do I see any signs of oil in the water. The shadetree guy pulled the intake manifold and put it back together before I got it so I'm assuming he didn't see anything either...

What next? Install rubber plugs and pressure test it? Which leads me back to the original question:

Are there core plugs in the back of the block inside the bell housing?

I really don't want to completely pull the motor unless I'm forced to, especially if there's a chance it's no good. (in that case I have a volvo duo prop outdrive for sale...)

Thanks!

Bondo

Staff member

Are there core plugs in the back of the block inside the bell housing?

Ayuh,... I'm Not a Ford guy,.. But I think the 351s also have Coreplugs behind the flywheel,...
Just like the Chevys...

Why not pop in the rubber 1s if you want to Test it,...
Put the Air to it,+ you'll know Instantly whether there's Bad Coreplugs behind the flywheel or not...

a70eliminator

Captain
Re: Volvo 5.8fl PHUE freeze plugs

I have never seen a ford V8 small block that had freeze plugs on the back of the block,, There is the cam plug and 2 lifter galley oil plug cups behind the flywheel, I could see where someone may confuse them with freeze plugs.
Now that I think about there are no V8 ford big block, small block, y block, FE, that have freeze plugs on the back of the block.