Lower unit oil 150xp

robertpage101

Seaman Apprentice
(89' evinrude 150xp)To start out how bad is it if you pull the plug on the lower unit oil level and nothing come out but a little water? Next i filled it up and ok lets get this right i have a upper flat headed cap, a lower flat headed cap to drain and what the book calls a set screew next to the screens for the water pump. whan i filled it up with the pump how much oil should it take? do i fill to the set screw or the upper plug. i just want to be clear cause i put a qt. of gear oil in and still not to the top but about 1/2 to 2/3s the way of filling it i got oil out of set screw. did i over fill cause i kept going. any help would be nice thanks

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Lower unit oil 150xp

Robert, That gearcase should take 25oz of gear oil. Pump it in from the bottom, and pump it until it comes out the top w/o bubbles. Install new gaskets on the top plug and install plug. Remove pump and repeat with lower plug.

Now run motor a few minutes and watch for gear oil leak. If no leak run it 15 minutes or so and remove bottom plug and see what comes out. If you have water of creamy oil, you have bad water leak.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: Lower unit oil 150xp

If the lower unit has a leak, the only easy thing an owner can do is make sure the two plastic washers (around the drain and vent plug) are not the reason for the leak. If these are in good condition and the lower still leaks, you need to have a professional do a pressure/vacuum test on the lower to check it for sure. It has to be checked to insure it will hold both pressure and vacuum. A lower unit reseal kit consists of two prop shaft seals, a carrier seal, carrier bolt seals, an upper driveshaft seal, and a shift shaft seal-any of which could cause a leak. I'd make sure the bearings and gears were checked to insure that no damage was done from lack of lubrication.