94 50hp Force won't start

BTMJAP

Cadet
I have a 94 50hp Force that strted right up and I ran it for about 10 minutes. It sounded good at low idle but sounded like it was missing when it got to 3000rpm. Now it will not start at all. It has good spark and is getting gas but will not even fire. Any suggestions where to start?
Thanks

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: 94 50hp Force won't start

check compression.

Its not flooded is it?

BTMJAP

Cadet

It does seem to be getting a lot of gas. Could the choke be sticking open? How do I check?
Thanks

john from md

Commander

Take the cowl off and, with the engine not running, activate the choke. You should see the solinoid moving. Barring broken linkage, this will tell you whether the choke is working.

Generally, you need four things to get an engine to start. Fuel and air in the correct mixture, good compression and spark. You say you have fuel and spark. Have you checked the compression recently. If you have low compression, the engine will be hard to start. Have you decarbonized the engine or cleaned out the carbs in recent years? If not, you may have sticky rings, sticky needle valves and build up in the passeges. Is your battery relatively new? Is it charged? A battery that is not spinning the starter fast enough will cause an engine not to start.

These are a few things for you to think on and get back to us.

Regards,

John

BTMJAP

Cadet

Thanks, John. I operated the choke and could hear the solenoid clicking but could not see anything moving. What am I looking for? Plugs are good, battery is fairly new and fully charged. I've sprayed carb and linkage. Have not checked compression. Thanks for the help.

BTMJAP

john from md

Commander

The choke will be moving a lever that will be attached to the butterfly in the intake of the carb. You have to take off the intake cover to see the actual intake of the carb. Get your book out and check to see if the choke is closing and opening properly.

John

BTMJAP

Cadet

The choke solenoid is not attached to any lever. It has a plunger type mechanism on the top and two fuel lines going to carb; one to the bowl and the other goes to the bottom/back of carb. I don't think it is the type you are describing? I've ordered a manual from ebay but have not rec'd.
Any thoughts?
Thanks again.
BTMJAP

john from md

Commander

The type you are describing is a primer type. Take the fuel line off that goes to the back of the carb. When you activate the choke, fuel should come out of this line. When you shut the choke off, fuel should stop. If it doesn't stop, the primer valve is probably bad.

John

BTMJAP

Cadet
Re: 94 50hp Force won't start-IT STARTED!

Re: 94 50hp Force won't start-IT STARTED!

Hey John: The primer valve was sticking and flooding engine. My son & I took it on its maiden voyage on Sat and it started on the first turn of the key and ran great! Thanks for all your help! It is truly apprecitated.
BTMJAP

john from md

Commander

Good for you. Don't forget to help someone else down the road.

John