225 looper ignition problems

wesley pipes

Seaman Apprentice
i have some experience in outboards and i had made a deal with a guy to repair his boat in trade for a trailor. basicall he took a mercury off and hung the johnson on there and im wiring it up as we speak. he was having problems with geting fire so he gave me a new stator, power pack and all new coils (he obviously had no idea either) so i replaced them all and now i am getting fire on the #6 cylinder and that is it. i have eliminatyed the keyswitch and disconnected the wiring harness so now it is all motor what now??? the shop i work for has taugh me nothing but to change parts out not to diagnoss the problem

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 225 looper ignition problems

The spark test, having the spark jump a mandatory 7/16" gap must be performed with the spark plugs REMOVED.

The engine must be cranking over at least 300 rpms in order for the stator to provide the proper voltage needed in order to energize the powerpack.

A slow cranking engine will emit weak, erratic, or no spark.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Download the FREE CDI Outboard Ignition Troubleshooting Guide from

www.rapair.com

They wrote the book on OB ignition systems and guide you through every test

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Mr. Reeves was writing the book at OMC when CDI Electronics still belonged to Rapair.

I strongly suggest that you follow his reasoned approach to troubleshooting your problem.

wesley pipes

Seaman Apprentice

i clicked on the link and tried to download some of the troubleshooting guides but as soon as i click on it a new window apears but nothing is on the page. it says done loading at the bottom and all but nothing. thank you so much for the advice though

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

try: http://cdielectronics.com/

When you go to download the troubleshooting guide, remember that it is a book in pdf format, so you should right mouse the selection and save it to your drive rather than trying to open it, which will take forever.

wesley pipes

Seaman Apprentice

well i tried that too and still nothing... if i right click it there is no way to download the information or copy it.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

When you right mouse click the link does your browser not list "Save Target As" as a choice?

wesley pipes

Seaman Apprentice

ok i got onto a diff computer and it came right up i just tried to burn the file to a disk and now im going to try it in my computer if the file downloaded right i might go to a kinkos or something like that to get it made into a book for me

wesley pipes

Seaman Apprentice

thanks for the help guys i just droped off the disk and they told me about 12-14 dollars and they would print it out into a manual for me

daselbee

Commander

Geeeeezzzz....
So now you got your PC problems fixed...what about the engine?!!!!

wesley pipes

Seaman Apprentice

yes i got the book printed out and i had to go get me a dva reader for my multimeter in order to complete some of the troubleshooting. it turns out the timing base is not puting out enough volts to activate the power pack for spark. as soo as i get that in the mail it should run like a top... the guy took a 150 mariner off of a 19-20foot ?? bayhawk and put this 225 loop charged on there so i cant wait to test run this bad boy. thanks for the help guys.