Impeller question for 1985 evinrude xp 150

chrisdxn

Recruit
I have a 1985 evinrude xp 150 outboard. I got hung up on a sandbar last time out and the down spout (pee hole) is just dripping a little bit of water. I do not recall if it was a solid stream before. This motor was totally rebuilt 2years ago and I do use it in salt water. I also flush it out after every trip.

I am trying to determine if i have damaged my impeller.

If I have how much does this usually cost to have a mechanic repair (average price).

Is this an easy task to do for the average person?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Impeller question for 1985 evinrude xp 150

run weed eater string up the tale tell hose, or disconnect at the block. should have steady stream. can be a DIY, if mechanically inclined or $150 +

chewie1997

Seaman Apprentice

When my tell tale was weak I pulled the rubber hose off the nipple at the outlet and found a piece of leaf there. I pulled the leaf out and sucked through the hose to be sure it was clear (thankfully I didn't get a mouthful of crap). Pee's strong now!

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Chances are good that you have a blockage in the thermostat area; inspection would be an excellent idea.

Be sure that the screen in your water intake on the gearcase is in great shape, it is all that prevents leaf-sized objects from making it into the engine.