omc thrust plate with shim

skippy867

Seaman Apprentice
1st time poster ,long time reader. i was changing my gear lube yesterday when i noticed my thrust plate missing on the starbert side, i found the part for it online and noticed in the diagram that this side has a shime that goes on with it. i was just wondering what this plate and shim does, as i am new to the boating sceen. and would it have hurt it at all running it in the water without it? thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: omc thrust plate with shim

Those thrust plates are there to prevent excess drive movement from side to side between the wings of the gimbal ring. The shims are put on in pairs with the thrust plates, so have a look at the other side. If it has between 0 and 4 shims, count them and install the same number on the missing side. That way it keeps everything equal.

skippy867

Seaman Apprentice

ok, thanks don! this site rocks:cool:

kenglund

Recruit

I just took my OMC sterndrive off the boat and noticed one of the retainers that holds the thrust plate onto the housing is gone! Assuming it fell straight down, will it cause any problems where it landed? I think it must have came off a long time ago. Also, can I secure that thrust plate in with another suitable retainer/washer etc or do i need to buy the factory item? Thanks!