Boat Wonder

cfrisbyfly

Recruit
What Makes A Boat Wonder At Slow Speed. I Have A 2008 Bayliner 175. With A 3.0 Inboard Outbord . Can Some One Help Find Out How To Stop This. Thanks.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Boat Wonder

you mean "wander"? my 87 bayliner always has since i got it. especially at idle leaving the marina. I have read of others doing the same thing also.

NCCamper

Cadet

Welcome,

Mine does the same thing at "idle" speeds. I have read it's a common thing, too - kind of like it's the nature of the beast. They say also that when you turn the wheel to get it back on track, it is slow to respond at these speeds. Once you are on plane, I assume steering is fine, correct.

One thing I have read here, is that if you add "Smart Tabs" (factory blemish sale going on now at the iboats store), this will help minimize the boat wondering around at idle speeds. I haven't done it yet, but I will soon.

Good Luck,
NCC

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Wind and current will play a major role on controlling your boat at low speeds. Try riding a bicycle at a very low speed and see how well it is to maintain accuracy, of course that has to do with balance. Sorta the balance between proper speed and nature.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Sorry I can't resist :p..... it want's to know who wrote the book of love!! :D

However I think your boat is showing signs of wander! ;)

AngelC

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had the same problem and would become fustrating when idling through a tight channel with a hundred other boats "Havasu" so I installed the smart tabs and got amazing results. Wandering is at minimum, very little compared to without the tabs, not to mention the rest of the pro's that come along with the smart tabs.

jkust

Rear Admiral

This is normal for I/O powered boats. My outboard runabout is straight as an arrow at slow speed but my I/O was a little suprising when I got it. I didn't know they did that either until the first ride. The upshot is at least they aren't as bad as I hear jet boats are at slow speed. I do know that the prop rotation tends to make it pull a little.

cbavier

Lieutenant

This is normal for I/O powered boats. My outboard runabout is straight as an arrow at slow speed but my I/O was a little suprising when I got it. I didn't know they did that either until the first ride. The upshot is at least they aren't as bad as I hear jet boats are at slow speed. I do know that the prop rotation tends to make it pull a little.

Outboards wander too but they usually are on smaller boats and it's not as noticeable. My I/O wanders at no wake speed but the wander disappears as soon as I throttle up past no wake. The slower I go the worst it is to wander.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Two solutions, some type of trim tabs deployed down as Angel mentioned, or you have to learn to anticipate. Lots of small corrections and constant vigilance is best. Even with the tabs you'll always see this with I/O combos.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

if you find the cure, you will be rich, every manufacturer has tried to solve it. it is cause by different and changing pressure on each side of the bow, buy the water itself, water is constantly moving.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Sorry I can't resist :p..... it want's to know who wrote the book of love!! :D

However I think your boat is showing signs of wander! ;)

Arghhhhhhh...lol

Help me wander, help help me wander..Help me wander yeah..

AZSenza

Chief Petty Officer

My 85 4 Winns (5.7 and Alpha 1) wandered pretty bad even with trim tabs. My Larson with a Bravo III is much better due to the counter rotating props but when in a narrow portion of a channel, the current still has its way. How is it on the open lake at slow speeds?

cbavier

Lieutenant

AZSenza I don't know who your addressing your question to but I will answer anyway. My 4 Winns wanders on any water at slow speed. My Gimble Bearing is starting to wear so I thought that might be part of the problem. I'm sure I'll hear from Don or TD on that thought. Like I said earlier as soon as I bump the throttle up past slow no wake the wander disapears. I just correct it at slow speeds and live with it or go a little faster.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Gimbal "ring" or swivel shaft wear could cause additional wander issues, but not the bearing . . . ;)

If anybody's boat wanders above displacement speeds they have serious steering issues, not normal.

cbavier

Lieutenant

QC mine might be the gimble ring because I have about 1/4 to 1/2 side slop in the outdrive. I can't really tell how much because you can't move it side to side and see the steering wheel.

haulnazz15

Captain

The wandering effect has several components to it, which is lessened or strengthened by boat weight, weight distribution, current direction, prop rotation, and hull design. The prop rotation is more of a function of torque effect, not really causing vagueness or wandering, but adds to the difficuty of maintaining a straight track. The different hull designs probably play the biggest part. The deeper the V, and more hull in the water (i.e. length and weight) keeps the boat from wandering quite as much. Lighter boats don't have as much hull in the water to aid with directional stability, and are more susceptible to wakes and currents, as well as the boats own p-factor.

The weight and weight-distrubution affects how the hull sits in the water, and thus how it performs when trying to track in a straight line. Ever ride a bike in a straight line while standing on one side of the bike? Same effect: it's more difficult to track straight. Finally, the current of the particular body of water also plays its part, as currents not coming head-on or from directly stern cause the bow to push in one direction or the other.

QC

Supreme Mariner

QC mine might be the gimle ring because I have about 1/4 to 1/2 side slop in the outdrive. I can't really tell how much because you can't move it side to side and see the steering wheel.
Try lifting the drive by hand and see how much play you have up and down, that is all gimbal ring . . . You can also have somebody hold the wheel while you try the side to side. I had one that was soooo bad that it was unsafe in rough water.

Repost this in the Merc I/O section if you need more info. Remember, you are supposed to retorque the two nuts facing aft at the top of the drive each season. This is the ONLY way to limit gimbal ring wear except for never turning the wheel . . . :eek: ;) Can be an EXTREMELY expensive repair. The right way requires pulling the engine . . . :eek:

For those following this thread, this Gimbal ring discussion is not truly relevant . . . Sorry for the hijack ;)

woodee148

Petty Officer 2nd Class

just to chime in.. my seaswirl does the same thing although the smart tabs did make a difference. At least now when I go thru the channel I don't feel like a complete idiot who has never driven a boat before. After the tabs it still wanders a bit but I consider it to be acceptable.

I think your experience with the individual boat also makes a difference. I wonder if you will wander as much after you get more used to the boat as I think some of it is exaggerated due to overcompensation.