200 Hpdi

lucky321

Recruit
Problem i am having is when taking off half the time it takes off fine and the other half its acting like its bogging down. When up to speed it surges 5 to 7 mph. Bought the boat and engine new 3 years ago, If i remember right it started doing it the end of last year but not as bad. I have looked at the fuel filter it looks like its new. I pulled spark plugs they look great. I put stabil in the fuel system before winter and since then i have ran that fuel out and have put new fuel in it. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks

Randy

yamamarinetech40

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 200 Hpdi

There's a good(very good) chance you are on your way to a holed piston....that's what usually happens when you run one of these lean, and that's the most probable cause of the surging at high speed and lack of power at low speed....and that would make the spark plugs look 'great' to the average person, it's hard to read some of the advanced engines plugs when running lean, may show as more of a tannish white than white...but you do NOT want to keep running it this way....may have already caused damage...you won't know till 'pow' and it's over. You say THE filter looked new...it has not one, not two, but three filters on the motor and you should have another in boat before fuel bulb. One is in the VST tank on engine, one is above and hidden. You failed to say how many hours on engine. Also, what part of country you are in(ethanol).

lucky321

Recruit

I fish on Toledo Bend in Louisiana, I run regular unleaded in it. from 1 fishing hole to the next it might take off great with no problem run 15 minutes at 60 mph with no problem and then the next time i take off it might be sluggish then take off, or it might take off great. Nothing consistant with it. Dont really know the exact hours on it but they arent over 200. Engine cranks great and idle greats. Thanks

Randy

cousinabe

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If the vst and medium pressure filter haven't been changed, do it.
Make sure you use the correct clamps on the mp filter.

this thread explains what/how to change with pics.
http://bbcboards.zeroforum.com/zerothread/66928

if you use stabil with E10, make sure you use the brown stuff, not the red bottle
i used startron over the six month winter layup which worked well.