Boat Oil

Redneckboat21

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey i have another question if the boat says that it will take the 10W30 oil can i buy the oil that i put in the car i can put in the boat or does it have to be marine oil?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Boat Oil

Ayuh,... Oil is Oil,... Nothing Marine about it...

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Howdy,

Jeeze, I'm getting keyboard cramp from posting this over and over and over.....Another energizer bunny!!:D

http://www.mercurymarine.com/serviceandwarranty/mercruiserfaqs/fueloil.php#1124

Please note that Mercruiser also says above,
NOTE: The use of non-detergent oils, multi-viscosity oils (other than as specified), non-FC-W rated synthetic oils, low quality oils or oils that contain solid additives are specifically not recommended...........

This crankcase oil recommendation supersedes all previously printed crankcase oil recommendations for MerCruiser gasoline engines. The reason for this change is to include the newer engine oils that are now available in the recommendation.
Inform yourself too!...
read this! http://www.nmma.org/certification/programs/oils/fc-w.asp

If you don't want to do what Merc/Volvo suggests, use whatever oil you want. Very few marine engines wear out or fail due to oil type.....they usually fail for other reasons.

Regards,

Rick

Redneckboat21

Petty Officer 3rd Class

well the manual says used 10W30 valvo oil and i never heard of it i was wondering if it was ok i went to walmart and bought the walmart brand 10w30 oil and if that would hurt anything because i mean i didn't thank it would have mttered because it is like a car motor in the boat so i was just wondering before i do it and i really make a mistake

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

Like Rick tried to point out, marine engines should be using FC-W certified oil.

Take a moment, and read as to why:

Until FC-W, engine manufacturers have specified the use of a high-grade automotive engine oil for four-stroke outboards. But in recent years automotive oil formulas have changed, as car and truck manufacturers put more emphasis on reducing internal friction to improve fuel mileage. This made auto-spec oil less desirable for use in marine engines, where operating conditions are significantly more challenging. For example, how often and for how long do you run your car or truck at full throttle? Maybe for a few seconds as you accelerate down an on-ramp. Your outboard, on the other hand, may spend a lot of time at WOT. Even when cruising, an outboard is under relatively heavy load and at least 75 percent throttle while it operates in an environment that includes high humidity and salt air. Compared to a car engine, an outboard leads a tortured life.

In designing the FC-W formula, the NMMA committee sought to address two key issues. The first is resistance to "shearing" during high-rpm and high-temperature operation that rarely occurs in an automotive application. Under shear stress, oil can become thinner and lose its ability to separate moving parts, leading to accelerated wear or even catastrophic failure in extreme cases. The FC-W spec imposes a higher minimum viscosity level, which means that FC-W oil will not thin out as much as automotive oil of the same viscosity under the same heat and rpm conditions.

The second issue addressed by the FC-W standard is corrosion. Obviously, an outboard lives in an very humid environment that can also be salty. When the engine is shut down, air remaining inside the engine can condense on bare-metal surfaces and this moisture can either attack the metal directly or become mixed with the oil and circulate through the engine. The FC-W spec adds a rust-inhibitor requirement that does not exist for any automotive engine oil and will better-protect vulnerable surfaces like valve springs and cylinder liners.

FC-W oil is mother's milk for four-stroke outboards, but it is also recommended for use in four-stroke personal watercraft and gasoline inboards and sterndrives. Of course, because this is premium oil, it has a premium price. A one-liter bottle of Mercury 10W-30 FC-W oil is $3.30, while a quart of Yamalube 4-M is $4.99 at my local dealer. That's more than store-brand auto oil, but about the same as a quality synthetic motor oil like Mobil 1. Pennzoil and other oil companies also offer oil that meets the FC-W standard.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i run this oil in my merc i/o

Yea, and that is what happens with all these oil threads.

"I use "___Fill in the blank___" and it works great for me.

Yes it may work for as long as you own that particular engine and boat. But is it the best choice in this day and age of oil specs.
There is also an FC-W spec for IO engines.

Here read the complete story about FC-W oil certification.

http://www.nmma.org/certification/programs/oils/fc-w.asp

Redneckboat21

Petty Officer 3rd Class

so what is FC-W and do i have to have that for my boat and where would i be able to find that at

Ridemywideglide

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I run my cummins at 3000rpm for 4 hours a day drive time, I think I'd use the same standard in my boat which sees high rpm for alot shorter period.
Amsoil is also my choice.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Forgive me if I sound a little harsh, but did you read that link from the NMMA?

They provide a list of manufacturers that sell FC-W oil.

Click here: http://www.nmma.org/certification/programs/oils/registeredoil.asp?y=FC-W2008

I posted this earlier also, but here's what Mercruiser suggests. (Volvo also has their own recommendations) ..... http://www.mercurymarine.com/serviceandwarranty/mercruiserfaqs/fueloil.php#1124 They indicate the oil to use in a Mercruiser.

Now having said all this. The boat my dad bought new was a 66 Mark Twain. It had a 150 Mercruiser inside. He used just about every different oil there is. The engine went 39 years before I sold it and it never had the head off.

Bottom line, use what ever oil you want. :cool:

Redneckboat21

Petty Officer 3rd Class

no i have not read that yet i was just wondering because i have an 1989 valvo penta

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

so what is FC-W and do i have to have that for my boat and where would i be able to find that at

FC(four cycle)-W (water, marine) is the newest performance standards for oil used in a marine engine.

Do you HAVE to use it? That is totally up to you...read the article that I posted above. I prefer to follow the advice of Mercury, and always use it.

Any marine store has the FC-W oil, as well as WalMart. There are several 'brands'...but I just stick with Mercury (Quicksilver).

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

no i have not read that yet i was just wondering because i have an 1989 valvo penta

Well, again, you can use just about anything.

Volvo DOES have recommendations too!

Click below and follow the model/serial number prompts and you'll get Volvos suggestion. You can never go wrong following the Manufacturers recommendations.

Recommendations
Engines
Find recommended lubricants and information on how much oil you should put into your engine and/or drive in the chapter ?Technical data? in you Operator's manual.
http://www.volvo.com/volvopenta/glo...ice/publication_search/publication_search.htm