Wrong oil?????

fishingman220

Chief Petty Officer
I changed the oil in my boat (5.7 merc) and put 5w30 with a quart of lucus oil stabilizer. then i got to looking around on here and saw in a manual that it said to use straight 30w. do you think i should change it again? the lucus was VERY thick, think that would be enough. I am going out tomorrow so please let me know if you think i should change it.

Lodgepole

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Wrong oil?????

If you can salvage the oil and use it in a land vehicle, (it's new oil) I probably would do that. Like you said, the book says 30W. 5W30 means 5 when cold and 30 when hot. Would likely be OK. I wouldn't think it would ruin your engine.

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

no 5 weight oil - get it out of there before you use the boat.

You have several options for most Mercruiser i/o engines:
30W
25W40
20W50

but nothing starting with the number 10 or 5 unless you have an engine oil cooler (like many Volvo Pentas have, but not many Mercruisers).

Jeepster04

Chief Petty Officer

Would a 500A volvo penta have an oil cooler? It calls for 5w-30 which is what weve bought for them..

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Would a 500A volvo penta have an oil cooler? It calls for 5w-30 which is what weve bought for them..

I'm not sure where you read 5W-30 for a Volvo, but I have never seen that on any of their engines. Both service manuals and owners manuals say 20W50 or 15W50. There were some older engines that called for 10W40 but absolutely nothing with 5W30

fishingman220

Chief Petty Officer

I did a little research on oil and from what i am reading is the only difference in 30w and 5w30 is when 5w30 is cold it flows alittle easier, but once hot flows like 30w. it is all 30w oil. so if the boat is warmed up wouldnt it be the same as 30w oil?

Don S

If that is what you want to use, then use it.
Oil threads and opinions on oil types and what to use are a dime a dozen, and is a waste of time. Everyones opinions are different.
If you don't want to use what the manufacturer recommends then use whatever you want. It's your choice, not ours.

Don S

Thisis what i read, i know there are alot of different opinions, but i was just saying that i had read this.

Do you get a warm fuzzy feeling every time Billy Mays or the Shamwow guy comes on TV? Trust me, their products are not the best of the best.

What do you expect the Amsoil site to say. "We are almost as good as ......."

Ridemywideglide

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i am just showing a different opinion, sorry wont do it again don

LOL... Seems to be the standard here from what I'm seeing so far.

I'm still trying to figure out why an oil that is thinner at low temps would be bad, expecially in a boat, when everyone says boats run cooler than cars.. :confused:

Seems that the thicker straight30 would not lube as well in the sub 150* temps most are running..

45Auto

Commander

All you have to do is decide who knows more about your engine, you (or some random poster on the internet ....) or the hundreds of engineers at Mercury. Should be pretty simple to make a decision after you settle that.

Mercury recommendations:

MercruiserOilRecommendation.jpg

Notice how the last recommendation, #5, is for straight weight automotive oils? There's a reason they don't recommend multi-grade, light-duty automotive oils for boating use:

Simple lesson on multi viscosity oils

First you have to understand how multi-viscosity oils are made. Since the 50's, that's been done with "viscosity index improver" additives, a polymer (long chain molecule, also known as "plastic"). What happens is this polymer expands as the oil gets warm, taking up more space between the oil molecules, effectively making the oil "thicker" than it would be without the additive. So, a SAE 5W-30 oil would be SAE 5 without the VI improver, SAE 10W-30 would be SAE 10 without it, etc.

The first thing to break down in an oil is the viscosity index improver. When the oil is under load, the plastic VI improver molecules are sheared. They are no longer able to take up as much space when the oil heats up, thus the oil slowly reverts to it's base viscosity. IE, 5W-30 slowly becomes 5 weight, 10W-40 slowly becomes 10 weight. The more load on the oil, the faster it breaks down.

How do you get a 5W-30 oil to be a 5W-40 oil? By putting in more plastic! GM had to warranty a bunch of diesel engines due to VI improvers gumming up their roller lifters, so they banned the use of high viscosity index oils (like 10W-40) in their diesels, and carried that over to their gasoline engines for general principles.

The "typical" synthetic doesn't use as much VI improver as the same rating petroleum base oil, so it's "typically" safe to use a 10W40 synthetic oil in an engine that calls for 10W30. That would only apply that to the "premium" synthetics, though, like AMSOIL, Mobil 1, and Redline. Don't trust any of the other "majors" synthetics (Pennzoil, Castrol, Valvoline, etc.) for this property.

Fact is, your boat will probably die from a bad impellor or bad exhaust manifolds LONG before you have to worry about any oil-related issues.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Ever drain the oil in a warm engine with 5w-30? Comes out like water.

Straight 30 weight is the way to go...:rolleyes:

Maclin

Admiral

Car engines often have the 5w-30 weight specified, but trucks usually do not. A boat engine sees heavy duty truck-like use. Best to follow the mfg specs. I would change the oil again before I run it on the water.

scipper77

Commander

The only "responsible" answer is to say to always follow the manufacturers recommendation. There is no other correct answer, only opinions beyond that.

If you follow I-boats you will see that this is Don S's bread and butter. He is the top mechanic on this site barring none, and 90% of the time he just tells people the "correct" fix to there problems is to follow the manufacturers specs.

meesh

Petty Officer 1st Class

scipper 77 AMEN to your answer and lets please put the oil threads to rest.

wesley pipes

Seaman Apprentice

ok im new to this site and all i want to know is WERE DO I CLICK TO POST?? ive got questions and answers but i cant seem to find out were to click if i want to ask something please contact me thank you

meesh

Petty Officer 1st Class

Welcome Wesley. Go up to the top and click on forum tools. Tha first thing in the drop down box is post a new thread. Click on that and your good to go.