Merc 4.3LX 4bbl Intake change-out

dacapeman

Recruit
1995 Merc - 4.3LX 4BBL - 12 bolt intake
When putting the thermostat housing back on last fall, one of the cast bolt holes broke off the intake. So after checking around at most of the local marinas with no luck of finding a used one, someone suggested an Edelbrock Perfomer 2111 as a replacement. I checked with Edelbrock ans it sounded like the right match. I bolted it on, put the stock marine carb back on and took it to a local marina to put the distributor in and set the timing and carb. They called once they had the distributor in and running but said they are unable to get the engine to idle and wouldnt go any further seeing as it was an aftermarket intake and they didnt know what I may have done.
So I guess im looking for ideas. Can i do this? Is the original carb OK to use on an Edlebrock intake? Did I miss something when putting together.....ideas thought please help.....

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Re: Merc 4.3LX 4bbl Intake change-out

2114 is a vortec head intake. 2111 is a non vortec intake...Vortec head cast number's are as follow's....casting numbers 772,140,114,113...the last three digits...they are on the top of the head

J JACKSON

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sounds like a vacuum leak possibly the wrong intake, carb gasket installed incorrectly, vacuum lines off

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

sounds like a vacuum leak possibly the wrong intake, carb gasket installed incorrectly, vacuum lines off

I agree.
You can use a propane enrichment process to check for a vacuum leak, or just listen around the carb base with a stethoscope.

There's lots of boats running 2111's - no issue there unless in salt water with RWC.