A new toy a new learning curve

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Epson V500 Photo Scanner - Thanks to my brother :)

I probably have 15,000-20,000 negatives from when I was in the service and some terrific old pictures that I need to copy to digital.

Big learning curve :redface: Looking at the old photos make you remember ......

How did we used to fix flat tires on our heavy trucks in Germany.... I bought the beer of course

img093.jpg

How about a young mechanic who "thought" he could adjust the clutches in out crane..... lifet the boom and sucked it over backwards right into the cab :eek: Had to use the tank retreivers to pull it back over.

img070.jpg

Bob_VT

Staff member
Re: A new toy a new learning curve

Part duex ;)

How about a flash flood. We left our equipment parked along side the river bed and went to lunch for 90 minutes ...... OMG and it did not even rain in this part of Missouri at the time!!

img033.jpg

3 D-7F dozers ready to "jump" off the trailers which was not healthy for the trailers..... ;)

img036.jpg

Ahh the military thought process..... if it was big and heavy give it to Bob and let him take care of it in his Heavy Junk Platoon..... BTW that is NOT a tank..... it is a Combat Engineer Vehicle (CEV) with a 165mm Demo Gun!

img027.jpg

If you were one of the lucky ones to join the Army in VT in 1987 it was probably one of us! (I'm the 2nd on the right side) dam I miss my hair!!!

img034.jpg

Splat

Lieutenant

Very cool indeed.

Speaking of fixing flat tires you ever seen anybody fix one with some starting ether and a lighter????? It's a great way to do it on the trail!

Bill

Bob_VT

Staff member

LOL those tires back then were all tube! We used a pick axe and our backs to break them down. Yes starter fluid is great for the atv tires to get them to seal.

ThumbPkr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great pics Bob,those negatives are in good shape.Don't let them go like I did.Ron G

i386

Captain

Cool Bob. What DPI are you scanning those in at?

Bob_VT

Staff member

I have been doing all my scanning at 600 DPI and the scanner is capable of 12,800 DPI which is great (not that I will ever need it that high).

The top 2 photos are directly from B&W negatives and the others are copies of photos.

Color negatives samples (dam I miss this boat)
img037-1.jpg

img038-1.jpg

img039-1.jpg

img040-1.jpg

These are directly from color slides

img124.jpg

Nice to know the East German's were watching us when we worked too close to the boarder!!

img114.jpg

Shizzy

Ensign

those are great pics. Its amazing what thoughts and memories pop up when you can digitize the old stuff.

the day I scanned this pic I realized I was wearing the same outfit in 1979 as I was in 2008. almost thirty years later....

IMG_1266.jpg

IMG_1267.jpg

Bob_VT

Staff member

That's great! :D