evinrude 175 tilt and trim rebuild

whalerone

Cadet
Hi there,

I just rebuilt my tilt and trim for my 1997 Evinrude 175..

Looking back through the manual I realize my mistake... I didn't add fluid to the cylinders before closing up the end caps!!! doh!!

My question is... Can I just open up the end caps and add fluid?? Or can I keep adding fluid to the resevoir until it works or my battery dies??

Trying to avoid taking the whole thing apart again??

christian:confused:

jonesg

Admiral
Re: evinrude 175 tilt and trim rebuild

Its full of air now, so the whole things needs bleeding, thats done by releasing the valve and cycling the leg up n down.
Thats a lot of lifting, cycling and filling as the level drops.
I'd try it manually anyway.

whalerone

Cadet

Can you explain the bleeding procedure???

I'd like to at least try it before taking the entire thing apart again??

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Trim the motor all the way up. You may need to lift it by hand, to get it up. Lock it in place with the manual lock. Remove the resvoir cap and fill with Dextron III ATF. Replace cap, remove lock and run it down and then up. Wait 15 minutes for air to bubble out and refill and repeat cycle.

whalerone

Cadet

OK...

Here's what I did...

I popped the upper pin back out and lowered the tilt piston. Opened the end cap and filled the cylinder with ATF.

Closed the end cap and tightened. Inserted the upper pin. The motor still cannot lift the engine. I manually raised and lowered and added fluid several times. I cannot tell if the unit is getting pressure or if I'm just getting tired??

My question is... is the manual release valve supposed to be open while going through the bleeding procedure??? Because it has been shut tight the whole time.

I'm burning out here...

jonesg

Admiral

Keep adding fluid, I had to open my manual release valve to get the leg to go up lifting it by hand, yeh its heavy but possible. Had to do it a few cycles until it was full and stayed full.
The manual release has to be closed tight to try lifting electrically, at first mine wouldn't, I tightened the release valve a bit more and it started working.
I recall it being 45lbs torque, thats kinda tight.

If the pump is functional and ithe system is not spewing fluid or leaking internally, then it will work when all the air is out and the release valve is tight enough.

My outboard had been stored laying down flat and an air pocket had gotten into the system.