best position to put in trunk of a car?

pcrussell50

Petty Officer 1st Class
i just bought that '75, 50 hp evinrude that "idles too high" or "won't idle" that the seller's mechanic said had good compression but needs a carb rebuild. paid $400 for it. he was flooded with offers for parts motor alone, apparently. it's about a half hour's drive from me, and i'll be heading out to get it in a few days. anyway, how should i orient the motor when i lay it down in the back of my explorer? carb venturis facing upwards or facing downwards? other?

btw, it comes with all controls and cables and such, and the carb kit still sealed in the wrapper.

-peter

Randybeall

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: best position to put in trunk of a car?

i just bought that '75, 50 hp evinrude that "idles too high" or "won't idle" that the seller's mechanic said had good compression but needs a carb rebuild. paid $400 for it. he was flooded with offers for parts motor alone, apparently. it's about a half hour's drive from me, and i'll be heading out to get it in a few days. anyway, how should i orient the motor when i lay it down in the back of my explorer? carb venturis facing upwards or facing downwards? other?

btw, it comes with all controls and cables and such, and the carb kit still sealed in the wrapper.

-peter[/QUOTE]

Before you put it in your explorer, you need to drain the carbs. Nothing like the fuel smell in your truck to make life unbareable. Besides the fire/explosion risk. Since you have a running problem, and I would suggest a carb overhaul as the first step, place the engine in what ever position is least likely to roll over or other wise move about. Hauling an engine is bad for float settings in a carb, so that is why you need to be sure after the trip.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Always lay a motor on the opposite of the shifter, but this type doesn't have an external shifter so the rule doesn't apply here. I second the motion of draining out the carbs.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

The carb leaking is the only issue that I'm aware of. The "which side" is mostly a concern for four stroke motors where oil from the sump can leak back into the cylinders causing it to hydraulic and preventing it from turning over until the cylinders are drained.

Obviously, you do not want to damage the shifter on a tiller.

MAS

coolguy147

Commander

u sure compression is good? 400 is a lot of money to go to waste for a bad motor

mhg

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Take a HEAVY duty large garbage bag to put over the engine
a good quality duct tape to wrap the opening with
seal it as good as possible
M

pcrussell50

Petty Officer 1st Class

u sure compression is good? 400 is a lot of money to go to waste for a bad motor

nope, not really sure at all, except the seller sounds like a straight shooter on the phone, was very forthcoming, and explicitly claimed good compression in his craigslist ad. additionally, it was the only running 50hp motor of ANY make or year in the entire southwestern united states listed on craigslist, as of last week. That much, i know.

i had a feeling he was getting tons of offers, so decided to throw down with my offer. he claimed, during candid and friendly phone conversations, that he was flooded with offers, and had people with appointments to drive 300miles, 220, and a whole range of others in southern cal. I jumped in with a paypal offer, and he's about 25 miles from me. once again, he could have made it all up, but i just feel like i trust him. we'll see. i'll keep you posted.

i guess i could turn right around and sell it, unless the seller is a complete sheister who played me from beginning to end, which, well, i doubt, but we'll see. so of course, I'm still a little nervous. I'll find out next week when I go pick it up.

-peter

pcrussell50

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks for all tips, gang. first, my explorer is 12 years old, so it's no show queen. second, I have a fuel and oil-proof, nitrile mat covering the bed in back.

and third, I will drain the carbs and garbage bag it as per your suggestions.