VRO question

banhenry

Cadet
I have just disabled the oil inlet side of my VRO pump on a 1998 Johnson 130.

Unless I leave the oil inlet completely uncapped (not even an inline air filter) the engine starves of fuel.

I do not understand, I have looked at a great many forum posts pertaining to the process for disabling the oil side of a VRO pump and have found none indicating that plugging the oil inlet causes fuel flow problems.

Can anyone explain?

seahorse5

Rear Admiral
Re: VRO question

A healthy "VRO" pump can overcome the bit of vacuum in the oil pump area when it is capped off. It sounds like your pump is on its last legs since it is not strong enough to move the oil piston by itself.

You did disconnect the oil line, right? The 1/4" ID rubber hose that fits on the very back of the pump and not the 3/8" or 5/16" ID fuel line?

banhenry

Cadet
Re: VRO question

Thanks for the come back. Apparenty I have created an odd ball situation.

I did disconnect the 1/4" i.d. oil in line.

The pump is brand new. When I installed it the one thing that I did not do was change out the pulse limiter. My Clymers manual led me astray by not indicating that my motor even had a pulse limiter. The diagram did not show one.

The "no oil" signal kept appearing. I am assuming it is because I had a limiter conflict.

By the time I realized that I should have changed the limiter the boat was in the water and I chose to wait for a while before doing the limiter change out and I disconnected the oil line and went to 50:1.