Please help, 2002 Yamaha tilt/trim problems

big_b16

Seaman
On a 2002 3.1L Yamaha VMAX. Is it typical for the trim shafts to become mushroomed on the ends? Mine appear to have been worn that way during use. I was planning on just replacing the seals, but I cannot get the cap to slide off the end of the trim shafts due to the enlarged diameter. I could file the edges down. But when I raise and lower the motor, I can see where one side of the trim arm is closer to the outer edge of the seal than the other (off center)...indicating the trim arm is either bent or the tilt/trim assembly is not as free to rotate as it should be. So, I'm thinking if I have to replace the trim arm, why file down the one I've got. I cannot purchase just the piston from boats.net and don't know of any other suppliers. Another question for those who've worked on these. How often should the ends where the trim pistons contact the motor bracket be changed? I suppose if I change the pistons, I should change the stops too...thoughts?

Thanks for any inputs.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Please help, 2002 Yamaha tilt/trim problems

typical? only if you dont periodically grease the pins and wear pads.
yes the trim rams can be replaced.
were I you I would file down the mushroomed partrs and continue on but shorten up the maint schedule.
the trim arms DO NOT rotate.
use a straight edge and see if the piston shafts are bent.
they are rather pricey but filing the tips isnt a problem.
the piston by itself isnt avalible but the cap/piston assy is at about 148 USD a piece.
its a Showa unit that was made for many other brands as well.

big_b16

Seaman

Thanks Rod.

Unfortunately this motor was bought by me last year...it has been obvious the previous owner had more money than sense. I've spent a bit of time fixing little things and making the boat/motor run as it did from the factory.

Since I've got you engaged and you're the expert on these engines...I have another question that I think I posted before but it has me concerned a bit still. I've cleaned out the water jacket and replaced all parts involved (t-stats, pressure control valve (new style) and spring, and the water pump). I found junk on the t-stats diagnosing a bothersome overheat warning when idling for extended periods. Now that I've cleared up the passages, I'm getting up to 30psi (gauge gets maxed) at WOT. The boat doesn't come with a jackplate from the factory (some say it voids the hull warranty if added) so I can't elevate the engine in an effort to reduce the pressure. If the pressure is getting so high, is the poppit valve not regulating enough water flow? I can run around 65mph and think its a combination of the ram effect of the water and the new style poppit valve having a stronger spring. My question is can this be a problem or should I just deal with it...i.e. too much cooling is better than not enough.

Thanks for your inputs.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

could have the wrong pump insert installed.
I would not sweat it myself its rather normal with the bass boat guys.
there are a few bullitens on the water inlets and the insert for the 3.1L motors.