So I bought the 1984 35hp evinrude.....

chewie1997

Seaman Apprentice
Which according to the model (e35rcnd) it is a 1982 35 hp not a 1984. I Paid $350 for it. The prop is a little beat and could use a replacement. the plug boots look worn and probably should be replaced. I did start it. The pull is jerky. Sometimes I can get full extension out of the rip cord and other times not. Is there an adjustment I can make to smooth this out?

Also, there is a hole where I believe there should be a pee stream. there is nothing there. any ideas? Where is the best place to buy replacement plug wires and a prop? thanks! hope the motor was a good buy...

chewie1997

Seaman Apprentice
Re: So I bought the 1984 35hp evinrude.....

So the pull is me not the engine? I need to work on my technique:)?

thanks for the links. (hope your finger is feeling better).

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

thanks. it is better today, throbbed this morning.

chewie1997

Seaman Apprentice

Just checked out the link on props, when I measure for a replacement will I measure the total diameter of the prop? tip to tip so to speak?

CATransplant

Admiral

Here's a tip on rope-starting your engine: If you pull the rope out slowly until one of the pistons passed top dead center (you'll learn how to feel it), then let the rope go back into the recoil starter, you'll find that it'll be easier to pull.

You won't be immediately going up against compression, so you'll get a partial revolution of the flywheel before you hit the next compression. The momentum of the flywheel will help you complete the pull smoothly.

An old trick from a guy who used to have to kick-start a balky British 500cc single motorcycle (Velocette).

CATransplant

Admiral

Just checked out the link on props, when I measure for a replacement will I measure the total diameter of the prop? tip to tip so to speak?

Check out the propfinder tool here on iboats. It will help you a lot. You'll get to see the range of props available. The pitch will be the key thing, and that will depend on what boat the motor's on.

chewie1997

Seaman Apprentice

The propfinder gives me quite a few choices. How do I determine what pitch is best? Its a short shaft on a 16 ft shallow aluminum v-hull. It has a plywood floor covering the front 1/3 of the boat and has 2 wooden bench seats. I weigh about 300lbs and fish with 2 ligher people who probably weigh about 400 combined. thx!

chewie1997

Seaman Apprentice

just found the prop help guide. sorry.

chewie1997

Seaman Apprentice

never mind, not sorry. Prop tutorial only added to the confusion. I now understand what the pitch is but how to i choose what is best?

Whoopbass

Chief Petty Officer

My 1980 25 hp had a pisser so yours should to. There was an outlet on the right side of the motor with a hose that went to the left side that affixed to the bottom of the lower cowl.

Rebuild the carb on that thing since its so easy to do. Mine was a bear to start until I rebuilt the carb.

$350 was a very good buy.

CATransplant

Admiral

The discussion below is only for 3-blade aluminum props:

Well, a 12" pitch will probably handle the heavier load in your boat, while letting your outboard hit its proper RPM level. It'll help with the hole shot, too.

However, a 13" pitch will give you more speed when you're alone in the boat.

If you're regularly going to be carrying the full load, I'd choose the 12" pitch one, I think. You should plane and get about 24-25 mph with that prop.

The 13" would give you a couple or three mph more, but might be slow to plane with the load you describe.

I'm basing this on my old 35hp, which pushed a 15' fiberglass trihull. I had a 13" pitch on there, which was great for that 700 lb. boat and two adult passengers. When I had three passengers, it struggled to spin up to the full RPM the engine was capable of and was slower to get on plane.

Your boat is lighter than mine was, but your load is going to be more, overall. I'd get the 12". If you're going to buy a spare, go for the 13" as the spare.

chewie1997

Seaman Apprentice

went out and looked around for the hose, I found the pisser in a different spot. Thanks!

iwombat

Captain

(drifting off-topic a bit)

CA, was that velo the venom or the thruxton? Both nice rides BTW. And yeah, feeling tdc is the only way to save your ankle.

chewie1997

Seaman Apprentice

OK, Final question I hope. Using the prop finder for 12" pitch I have 3 choices.

1) 10 3/10" 3 blade
2) 10 1/8" 3 blade
3) 10 1/10" 4 blade prop

what say you wise men?

CATransplant

Admiral

The diameter isn't going to matter at all, really. Different makers have slightly varying diameters. It's the pitch that is the deal.

CATransplant

Admiral

(drifting off-topic a bit)

CA, was that velo the venom or the thruxton? Both nice rides BTW. And yeah, feeling tdc is the only way to save your ankle.

It was neither. It was a trials bike, and didn't have a model designation I could find. It was a 1957 model, with a 21" front wheel and a 19" rear. Small trials tank and a straight up-pipe. I believe it was not intended to be a street bike, although that's how I used it.

Gently did it on the throttle, because it was light in the front, and noisy as heck without any sort of silencer. Never mind, though...I rode it everywhere around my college and the local town.

I bought it for $150, kept it for a couple of years, then sold it on for the same price. I sincerely wish I had it now, when I could sell it for somewhat more, I believe.

It was a lovely old thing, indeed, allowing for wheelies at will. Perfect for a 19 year old college kid. I actually did a couple of trials on it, with little success.