2001 Yamaha 115 4 Stroke - Tach died

ILM Beaches

Recruit
I've been using my Edgewater 189 DC weekly for the last five years and its been fine, but my Yamaha digital tach/oil/temp guage went dead yesterday. Does not test light up on ignition. I am not sure where to start diagnosing what happend. Checked connections but could not determine any problems.

I had fired it up in my driveway just to check out everything...battery, oil, lub, etc and it worked fine, but after launching...it was blank.

Also, my tilt/trim bar stack on the speed guage has been stuck on the same spot for a couple years, but I know the boat sound/feel well enough to keep proper trim so I didn't worry about it. Where is the sender for the tilt/trim?

Any suggestions ? Thanks.

cousinabe

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2001 Yamaha 115 4 Stroke - Tach died

for the trim sending unit, check out parts 1,2 and 3.
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Outboard/2001/F115TLRZ/BRACKET 2/parts.html

I believe I've read stuff on this forum where the plastic parts have been replaced with stainless. there were issues with the collar breaking.

If your gauge is dead, either power from the red wire to the ign switch or key on yellow was lost.

roger777

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 2001 Yamaha 115 4 Stroke - Tach died

I bought twin 150's and both collars were broken. They were like $13 a piece. In the diagram cousinabe gave you odds are part #1 is either missing or cracked. Part #3 might need to be sprayed with lube. The grease on mine were so caked up it wasn't wanting to bounce back when pushed up.
For the gauges you should get a test light and see if you are getting power from the switch assembly to the gauges. If you are getting power you might need to cut and crimp connections(assembly switch only). I had the same problem and I could only clean 1 side with a wire brush but not the other. I ended up cutting and recrimping and has been working fine since. If you are in fact getting power to the gauge(good conection) you might need new gauge. Dont think there are any fuses inside gauge..