Do you regret buying a 4 stroke?

jdlough

Master Chief Petty Officer
I'm used to small 2-strokes. The boat I'm looking at has a 115HP Merc 4-stroke.
I don't know 4-strokes. Boats are supposed to be 2-stroke.

Anybody have regrets over getting a 4-stroke? Maintenance, weight, cost for what you're getting, etc?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Do you regret buying a 4 stroke?

JD, The move to DI and 4 cycle outboard motors is inevitable. It will also cause design changes to boats to adapt them to the heavier 4 cycle and DI motors. Also, the difference in weight between the 2 cycle and 4 cycle motors is diminishing, and the 4 cycle fuel economy is better. I therefore do not think your question is anything more than a nostalgic look at the past. Certainly there are some who regret buying any tyoe of motor

stubbsboogie

Chief Petty Officer

I graduated from a small two stroke to a larger four. The only thing I regret is not doing it sooner. queiter, better on gas, better for the environment. All around in my opinion just better!

marquette

Petty Officer 1st Class

i went from a 40hp Yamaha 2 stroke to a 30hp honda 4 stroke. the only regret i have is that i wanted slower and quieter and didn't realize how slow a 4 stroke would troll. i went down 10hp thinking that was what i needed to go as slow as what i wanted. if i was buying again i would have just shifted from a 40hp 2 stroke to a 40hp 4 stroke. the 30hp goes so slow most of the time i have to speed it up to get to the speed i want to troll at. the quietness at slow speeds is worth any 4 stroke drawbacks to me.

coolguy147

Commander

well see how they last in 50 years time?

only thing is if its fuel injected and junk u cant really work on it ur self if somehting goes wrong with it. we all know when it comes to fuel injected virtually everything is the same now. but i still rather have a optimax or etec or anyother other 2 stroke fuel injected models

prefer etecs though the price tag makes u run away

octane

Seaman Apprentice

I own a 2008 Merc 115 4stroke efi, and I am always amazed at how quiet it is and how little gas it takes.

maintenance is very similar, except you have to change the oil and dispose of it.

I don't regret it one bit

lifeisfun

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have 60HP 4-stroke Yamaha, couldn't be happier
....and just to rub it in it is lighter than 60HP ETEC

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have used 2001 DF70 Suzuki and 1997 9.9 Johnson 4 strokes. Both were wonderfully smooth, quiet and user friendly, as well as being cleaner and more economical than carbed 2 strokes of their era. I loved them.

Tried one of those small single cylinder 4 strokes and hated it. Much prefer the classic JohnnyRude 3 to 6HP twins, smoke and all.

So, until someone makes an under 6HP 4 stroke that is as smooth, quiet and user friendly as the classic JohnnyRudes I will prefer 4 strokes from about 25HP up and portable 2 strokes from about 25HP down.

Navy Jr.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Like Octane above, we also have a 2008 Merc 115hp four-stroke.

I recall when deciding on what boat I wanted (a retirement gift to self) that I spent a fair amount of time at a local and busy public access ramp. Got to see all sorts of rigs.

Someone unloaded a newer tinny fish & ski with a Merc Optimax and fired it up. I'm sure it had lots of power, but what a racket it made. The next boat down the ramp was a similar tinny with a Merc 4-stroke (I'm pretty sure because it didn't say "Optimax" on it), and when he fired it up it was much quieter.

From then on my quest was to learn more and try to determine why I shouldn't buy a 4-stroke. The more I read and the more I talked to folks, the more I came to the conclusion that today's 4-strokes are the way to go.

There are other threads on this board regarding what is better, 2-stroke or 4-stroke, but for the recent technological advancements that have been made, the 4-stroke is a great contender. Just my humble opinion.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Take a look at the price for a gallon of DFI 2 stroke oil and the answer becomes a whole lot clearer. I just picked up a 2-3 week supply for $153

coolguy147

Commander

i wanna race ur fourstrokes out and run circles aorund all u guys

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

i wanna race ur fourstrokes out and run circles aorund all u guys

Obviously have not read the story of the hare and the turtle in school yet. Maybe next year ;)

donnyskz1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a etec 225 (two stroke)and could not be happier with it. I am just not a four strole person.

capt sam

Man, I love my yami f115, that thing is responsive, quiet and very fuel efficient. I can have a normal conversation in the boat while going 50mph, never could do that with my old 2 stroke. Annual maintenance is fairly quick and easy, runs me around $200 to do everything, that's less than I ever spent on oil but I am on the water alot. If it's propped right the holeshot can be just as quick too.

jdlough

So,

What I'm seeing, is that there's no MAJOR reason to approve or deny a used boat purchase based on it's having a 2 or 4 stroke OB.

(I've read all the 2 vs 4 post, as they degenerated into spat fights. I was just looking for former 2-strokers who had regrets for going to 4-stroke)

(And not that I hate the environment or anything, but I think that of all the 6 billion people on the planet, if Me and My 2 or 4 stroke motor makes a difference, than the environment is a big wuss, (and you can tell it I said so) and should just get over it)

The 4 stroke OB's still look weird to me. A big balloon-looking motor.

But then again, 10 or 15 years ago, when the Big Bertha golf clubs were new, I thought they looked ridiculously balloony too. Now, the Big Bertha looks small.

Ok, so 2 vs 4 stroke are different, but not enough to sway a decision on buying a boat. One more variable dismissed. That's my decision and I'm sticking with it.

Thanks,
Jim

capt sam

I will add that I was somewhat hesitant at getting a four stroke after 30 years of 2 strokes but there are no regrets, in fact I think I'll never buy another 2 stroke again....well maybe, but not any time soon.

SundayMoney

Cadet

Anybody have regrets over getting a 4-stroke? Maintenance, weight, cost for what you're getting, etc?

I've got a Yamaha F150 and a T8.

I don't miss my old 2 strokes in the least.:)

pine island fred

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Have a YAMAHA F115, cant complain about the motor except it is to heavy. Yesterday I picked up a new YAMAHA 50 2 stroke, has carberators, did not know they were still available. Will leave it in the box until my 50 merc quits, if it ever does. Like the idea that I can work on it without plugging it into a computer.
2 stroke noise does not bother me as I rarely go past half throttle. As far as new techanolgy being cleaner, I could care less. I am one of those misguided individuals who will cut down a tree to celebrate earth day. regards FRED

Rancherlee

Chief Petty Officer

I don't miss my Carb 2 strokes one bit. I went from a 50hp Johnson 2 stroke to a 70hp 2 johnson 2 stroke to a 70hp Johnson 4 stroke. The weight is the only issue as the back of my boat sits a little low in the water at rest. The 4 stroke gets on plane quicker in my case and both 70hp engines ran out at 38mph gps on my boat. The 4 stroke uses 3 gallons an hour pulling tubes/skiers and the 2 stroke used the whole 6 gallon can. I can troll 8 hours on 2 gallons of gas with the 4 stroke, the 2 strokes used 1 gallon an hour (8 gallon in 8 hours) and trolled to fast. I change the oil every fall before I store the boat and check it before every use. I can also carry a conversation at WOT with the 4 stroke and it starts with a quick tap of the key on the coldest of mornings.

PUP300

Seaman Apprentice

I do not regret going to 4 stroke, there are only two things that bother me slightly.

-Takes awhile before it will run smooth at idle, once it does it is GREAT.
-Mine did not have a power tilt and trim (25hp Bigfoot), after back surgery I needed to get one. Pretty heavy.

Otherwise love it, especially now with power tilt.