Replaced Impeller now linkage messed up.

ncornett1

Cadet
93' Johnson 60hp. J60TLETD.
Replaced impeller. Put lower unit back on with prop in neutral and throttle handle set at neutral. Shift rod went back up under motor and i hooked it back into the stud under the motor, but for some reason the throttle linkage is now about a 1/2 inch forward of where the arm should be. When i reconnect the shift arm, the throttle handle is still at neutral but the prop is engaged to FORWARD. When i shift the throttle handle to forward, there is a lot of resistance.

any advice?

the shift rod is back in the proper position under the engine. it looks like the stud only goes into the shift rod hole one way.

i'm sorry if this is unclear, but i tried my best. i have the manual, but couldn't find anything to help.

**addendum: i realize after searching lots of threads, it is critical to not rotate the shift linkage when LU is dropped and reinstalled. well, i spun that thing around and around clockwise. i thought it was loose or something. could that be causing my shift arm to not line up with the linkage on the motor? i think i need to drop the LU (for the 100th time) and spin the shift linkage rod back around counter-clockwise. But how many times should i spin it to get it back to original position?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Replaced Impeller now linkage messed up.

the shift rod is theaded into the lower unit, when you turn it one way you shorten it, the other lenghtens it, yes, spinning it messes up the linkage. and i do not know the proper length for your motor. it has to be an exact length. check you service manual.

ncornett1

Cadet

thanks, tashasdaddy. i will do that.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

The correct measurement is 21 23/32". Measured from the mating surface to the center of the shift rod hole.

ncornett1

Cadet

21 23/32. worked like a charm. thanks for all the input. i appreciate your time. this board is THE BEST!