trim gage wireing q???

lightingmcqueen

Seaman Apprentice
ok so i have done alot of reserch and have found nothing i have a 89 wellcraft w/alpha one outdrive and i have had all new bellows put on and also new trim limit/sender no my boat dont have a trim gage and the sender wires are through the transom and tied up... now my question is the wires trhat are tied up are both black and have factory male and female ends on the . so i m guessing that one is the ground and the other is the sender but how do i know what is what ??? sorry for the long post i just need some ancers im pulling my hair out over here trying to figure it out thanks john :confused:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: trim gage wireing q???

It doesn't matter. The wires come from each end of a variable resistor. Current doesn't care which way it passes through the resistor (sender). Ground one wire and connect the other to the "S" (sender) terminal on the gauge.

AZSenza

Chief Petty Officer

It doesn't matter. The wires come from each end of a variable resistor. Current doesn't care which way it passes through the resistor (sender). Ground one wire and connect the other to the "S" (sender) terminal on the gauge.

What he said! Also most have slightly different terminal ends for the trim limit vs the trip indication. Look at then closely and youll see. Trim limit uses two male ends without boots, trim position have one with a boot and one without. but the bottom line is they are both variable resistors and will adjust/indicate the same.

amanphoto

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have the same year wellcraft. I would aslo like to add a trim gage. I have a wireing block back by the trim motor. There are also two loose wires back there. One has a femal connector and the other has a male connector. The male connector also has an orange mark on it. Are these two loose wires for the trim gage?