Cadet
I just bought a 14ft bass boat two weeks ago
its 800# but the ? is i have a 1987 ford ranger
five speed 2wd do you all think that it would
pull it out of the water i know it will pull the
boat down the road because i pulled it
home the day i bought it thanks i need to
get it out on the lake soon as i can but i need to
know its all i have to tow it with thanks .

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: Towing ?

Should not be an issue in my opinion. Be careful of slippy ramps though for traction.

Shizzy

Ensign

I doubt you will have any issues with an 800LB setup. do you have a V8 or 4Cyl?

CATransplant

Admiral

It'll handle it. However, get some wheel chocks and use them. Standard transmission vehicles are a major pain at the ramp.

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I guess my question would be, are you using a boat ramp? Concrete? Some of the places I put my boat in takes a 4X4. Like the others have said, light foot and if you aren't good with a clutch it can be a bear. Even with a fairly light boat it makes a big difference if the ramp is wet and slick. Don't get excited if there is a little slippage coming out with the boat.

cwhite6

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used to have the same truck you do. Do yourself a favor and put some extra weight over the axle in the bed of the truck. Sacks of sand, concrete, whatever you have that will add some weight. That little bit of weight will make a big difference in traction at the ramp. Also, I used to set my parking brake at the ramp. When I started to pull a boat out, I would let off the clutch and push the gas until I could feel it push against the brake and then pop the emergency brake. That pretty much eliminated slipping for me. I had the 2.3l 4 cylinder. It would pull all kinds of stuff if used correctly.

Shizzy

Ensign

I forgot to mention the wheel chocks. I have a set that are attached to bungee cords I hook to the truck. when Pulling back out I just drag them with the truck till im up on flat ground. Im rather quick coming off the clutch, but that makes me feel much better about the whole setup.

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

I have a 2007 ranger, 4wd V6, manual, and I don't use wheel chocks, I can get going on the ramp, with only sliding back a few inches. You just keep your foot on the brake until you have to give gas to prevent staling. Try rolling your foot, so you can give gas while still on the brake. Kinda like a heel to toe down shift.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

I pull a 21 foot cuddy with a 2WD S10, about the same size and weight as your Ranger. Occasionally on some ramps, the boat drags the truck down the ramp. (while I am in it, all four wheels locked and sliding) Chocks are now standard equipment in the truck. Stickier tires are the next purchase. Coming out of the water, occasionally I need a couple of people to jump in the bed for weight.

All in all, the Ranger will probably be adequate at the ramps but an automatic tranny would be easier on you. However, you will develop the skill needed with the stick.

donnyskz1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think you will be fine. I used to pull a 17 foot sunbird that weighed about 1600 pounds just adjusted the tongue weight on the trailer with a dodge omni hatchback for all that remember that car. People would look at me very funny with that rig.

junior1113

Senior Chief Petty Officer

everyone has a big friend make them sit in the bed

Ram58

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Some weight in the bed and concrete ramps you'll be fine.