Hydrofoil stabilizer

King0581

Cadet
I have a 17' procraft with a 115 merc and was wondering the pros and cons of the hydrofoil stabilizer. It seems to take forever to get on plane and I almost have to stand up to see over the bow. Would this be right for me or is there something else out there that would be better? Are these hard to mount? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Hydrofoil stabilizer

First of all make sure your boat is loaded evenly. Do you have tilt $ trim? Are you lowering the motor all the way in at first? If yes to all that look at Smart Tabs instead of the stabilizers. They are far superior.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Is your foam dry, if not that would add alot of weight to the boat, also are you running the right prop?

Had a buddy running a prop way to big for his boat and it would take along long time to plane.

Has the boat always done this or it is a recent problem?

Is the bbaot rated for the motor that is on it?

Try to find out why it is doing it, if it is just hull design then ya, get tabs for that boat and they should work fine, just make sure you aren't correcting a problem with a band aid fix.

King0581

Cadet

I have it trimmed properly when taking off(all the way down) and i think it should be loaded properly. It has done it ever since I bought the boat a few years ago and I'm finally getting tired of it because I'm fishing more now than usual. The boat is actually rated for a 125. As far as the correct prop size I am not sure. How would I go about finding out what is supposed to be on it? Also, where would I go about finding some smart tabs, if I find out I have the correct prop. By the way I am not the smartest person when it comes to the technical stuff with boats. Thanks guys.

King0581

Cadet

did a quick search for the smart tabs and now I see what you guys were talking about. Just got to figure out exactly which size I need when i have more time(gotta get my but out the door amd to work). They are more expensive than the stabilizer but hey....as long as it works. Anyone ever have any issues with them?

nlain

Commander

If you have questions on Smart Tabs when trying to decide on size just call Nauticus. If you are lucky Jdeargo may see this and jump in with help or questions to give you help. Phone # 800-233-0194
John has reworked his website looks a lot different.

You need to check the engine and be sure it is giving you all the power it is supposed to give, compression check, tune up, carbs if it has them.
You should check on the wot rpm of your engine and them prop the boat to reach wot rpm. If you reach wot rpm with the current setup then you are probably propped right.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral

did a quick search for the smart tabs and now I see what you guys were talking about. Just got to figure out exactly which size I need when i have more time(gotta get my but out the door amd to work). They are more expensive than the stabilizer but hey....as long as it works. Anyone ever have any issues with them?

You'll hear pros and cons for the stabilizer and the smart tabs. It's an ongoing thing at this site. Seems that it depends on individual circumstances for each boat and engine combo.

Personally, I've used the stabilizer with no problems and it helped tremendously at 1/2 the cost or less of trim tabs.

You pays yo' money and takes yo' chances. :D

junior1113

Senior Chief Petty Officer

i swear these things are made to keep peolple buying new boats they kill your transom seen it to many times tabs are the way to go gl

garry454

Cadet

Yup, had both on the same boat - first a foil, then Smarties. Smart Tabs are definitely a much better fix.

But like nlain said, make sure everything is right with the engine first. Hate to cover up an engine issue with the foil or tabs.

Good luck.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

King;

If you deside to go with our Smart Tabs you have two choices, SX9510-60 or ST1290-60. The SX series is Composites and the ST series is Stainless Steel.

The SX should do nicely and are less money.

garry454

Cadet

King;

If you deside to go with our Smart Tabs you have two choices, SX9510-60 or ST1290-60. The SX series is Composites and the ST series is Stainless Steel.

The SX should do nicely and are less money.

I would get with Nauticus though, being a 17' boat, he may find the 40's are little better. I run the 40 SXs on my 18' BR, and they are perfect.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Gary;

You may be correct but I think the motor (115HP) is a bit heavy for the 40Lb actuators. In any case, we would exchange them within 30 days if he finds that they are more than needed.

Anyway, thanks for your input because every boat is balanced differently and this is the reason for making the tabs adjustable, and interchangable (actuators).

The application chart is meant to get you in range, then you can adjust the load or in some cases change the actuators (they are all the same size except for pressure / resistance.)

garry454

Cadet

Gary;

You may be correct but I think the motor (115HP) is a bit heavy for the 40Lb actuators. In any case, we would exchange them within 30 days if he finds that they are more than needed.

Anyway, thanks for your input because every boat is balanced differently and this is the reason for making the tabs adjustable, and interchangable (actuators).

The application chart is meant to get you in range, then you can adjust the load or in some cases change the actuators (they are all the same size except for pressure / resistance.)
I got ya.

BTW- I'm so happy with my tabs, I can't tell enough people here on Lake St Clair!!! Great product you guys have. :)

King0581

Cadet

Thanks guys. Jdeagro thanks for the part numbers on the tabs. Soon as I check a few more things off the list that could be wrong I will be ordering up some tabs. Again, thanks guys.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Gary;

Thanks for the "AttaBoys", it is always good to know when our customers are happy.

King;

Don't make the all too common mistake of reducing prop pitch to get on plain easier. This is like downshifting into second gear to drive up hill, then driving around all of the time is 2nd. Since you only have one gear it needs to be set to the engine RPM specs.

Anyway, the reason the bow goes up at slow speeds is very simple, it's lighter than the stern. The water pressure increases with boat speed, and since the front (bow) of the boat is not loaded down with a motor, gas, batteries, etc. it comes up first. Then as the speed increases more the pressure builds to lift the heavier stern. Now you are on plane.

Dropping the pitch on the prop only helps the boat drive up hill easier, and in the long run will cost you more money since the engine turns more RPMs per mile and therefore uses more fuel.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Don't buy anything until you get your baseline RPM with your existing set-up. If the motor is lugging as it is, then a reduction in prop pitch may be all that is needed. I would think that a properly set-up 115 on a 17-foot bass boat should snap right on plane without too much problem, even with a decent load...
- Scott

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Correct - Make sure the RPMs at Wide open throttle is within specs. Once there, you can re-evaluate. Engine tune is assumed to be good as well.
None the less, the performance will improve dramatically with Smart Tabs.