power problem

34x1250

Recruit
I am thinking about purchasing a 17 ft landau aluminum fishing boat with a 45 hp mercury classic fifty on it and I am wondering if this problem the motor has will be a quick fix or a big expense

when I first start the motor it runs and sounds good ,but if you turn it off to fish for a while and then start it ,and throttle it up it just wont pick up speed the motor still sounds good but it just goes about 1/4 of the speed it should while the throttle is wide open. If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate it

Laddies

Banned
Re: power problem

It sounds like the high speed winding in the stator is opening from heat, you need to test it.

34x1250

Recruit

I'm not really sure what you mean by that

how do i test it?

34x1250

Recruit

i was tould that it might be the power pack dose anyone know if that could be the problem or not
The motor is a 1989 mercury classic fifty it says 45 on it im guessing thats the hp but not sure could anyone help me figure out what hp this motor has ?

Laddies

Banned

Without the engine or a serial number, here say says it a 1989 45 HP Mercury outboard. Without the engine to test you can talk all day, either get it tested or test it yourself, parts are to expencive to throw at broken engines. Here's the ign. test for a 1989 45 HP Mercury.
scan0003.jpg

Only a fool would buy a broken engine.