Q's about I/O hours and rebuilds

Mscanon99

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi All,

I am looking at I/O's after years of OB's.

Can some folks suggest the following on a 4.3 or 5.0 Mercruiser?

How many hours till the average setup with normal use last? I am assuming it was at the shop 1 X year for winterization.

Same for the outdrive? How many hours?

Bellows last about 7 years on average? Replace prior to wear out of course.

Thanks All,

Mike

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: Q's about I/O hours and rebuilds

If properly maintained and repaired as required, forever.

I just sold a big old craypot boat that had a 302W and a 270 outdrive, still going strong after 34 years.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Yup, it's all about the care they recieve. Some need replaced at 150 hours, but with proper attention, there is no reason engine and drive should not last 2000+ hours.

Number one killer is water - liquid and solid. Keep it tuned properly, and let it cool down a little before shut off, don't do any wild cam swaps searching for power, make sure water shutters are in place, this will keep the water in the cooling side of the engine.

DO NOT get creative when winterizing - there is a great sticky at the top of this forum "ADULTS Only" make it your friend for a while. Many tutorials and liks to factory service manuals (for Merc only). Don't want that liquid turning solid over the winter.

oldsub86

Petty Officer 1st Class

A friend who has run a marina for years tells me a 1000 hours before a rebuild. I suppose better maintenance might mean more time but if you aren't into maintenance, you might expect less.

Randy