steerin bushing

alek72us

Cadet
i just bought a 1989 carrera elite open bow 5.7 alpha one. my first boat. when i went to go pick it up the guy i bought it from told me the steering needs a neopreem bushing. but didn't tell me where. i should of asked more questions but i didn't. he acted like i couldn't buy one he knew i was a machinist and told me i could make one. my problem is is that i don't know what he is talking about, and i would make one but i don't know what it looks like or where it goes anyone here know what he is talking about.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Re: steerin bushing

Welcome aboard!

It's time to start turning, pulling, and pushing to see where any "slop" might be. I doubt you will find it as simple as replacing a little bushing however. Look and see how much play there is in the outdrive - it could be the bushings in the ginbal ring - not an easy fix. Or something else.... only you can tell. It's time to get acquainted with your setup. ;)

Good luck! Post back once you have narrowed down where the "slop" is.

alek72us

Cadet

i haven't looked at the boat yet, but i did talk to the previous owner. and he said the bushing is under the dash in the steering shaft housing. does anyone here know were i can get one?

Bondo

Staff member

and he said the bushing is under the dash in the steering shaft housing. does anyone here know were i can get one?

Ayuh,... You Replace the Whole Helm,+ the Cable....

Sounds like that 1 is Junk...

Zackman

Petty Officer 1st Class

You may want to wait till you actually see the boat and find out what is wrong before spending more money ;) (See Fishermark's reply)

If the bushing is bad, as the previous owner suggests, you will need to get specific information on that particular steering column.

Have you asked the previous owner what part is needed, how much it's going to cost, and where can you get it? I'm pretty sure he would have looked into it before selling it "as is".​

alek72us

Cadet

yeah i have he said it is a noepreem bushing. and that i would have to make one.

alek72us

Cadet

and i do have the boat and i have the engine out and the drive off. the steering seems fine thats why i came to u guys to see if u guys knew were i could get this bushing all he says is that he could draw it up for me.

alek72us

Cadet

how do i know which particular steering column i have. were do i find that info.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.. Instead of going round,+ round,... Just tell us what this particular Problem is...
Then we can figure out the best way to Cure it....

alek72us

Cadet

Ayuh where do i find this bushing?

what do u mean going round + round read the message above your last post. ayuh

Bondo

Staff member

where do i find this bushing?

The Round,+ Round about it is,...
You Still haven't explained exactly What Bushing Where is causing a Problem,...
Other than, Something the P/O said to you....

So,....

Why don't you Explain,.... Exactly What the Problem is...........

Otherwise,...
You're Wasting my time, when I could be Helping somebody who actually Appreciates somebody giving them Free Help......

alek72us

Cadet

i'm sorry long day at work. but that is my question. i guess my boat needs a bushing in the steering wheel shaft housing under the dash. i don't know what it looks like and i don't know were to buy one. so my questin is is were would i find this bushing to buy. also were would i find out what kind of steering console i have.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.. like I said above,...
The Helm is replaced as a Unit.... It's a Non-Servicable part,.... No Bushings....
Your's is Junk....

The Helm,+ Cable package are priced in a way that replacing the Whole danm thing is the Best way to go.....
They're reasonably Cheap,+ there's the Safety factor......

alek72us

Cadet

alright thank u i did read that u wrote that, i guess i got confuse by the guy that wrote the message under yours.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.. Welcome Aboard,.... You'll get used to my short answers...;)

flargin

Chief Petty Officer

yeah i have he said it is a noepreem bushing. and that i would have to make one.

That's fun, When I bought my boat the guy said, it must just be the steering wheel was loose, you can tighten it up.

One Gimble ring later.... tight as a drum... my "bushing" was fine :rolleyes:

Don't jump to conclusions on this stuff...

Zackman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Bondo is probably right, if you need a bushing your steering column is likely junk and should be replaced.​

I hope you realize that not all boats have the same steering column, and for someone to give you a good accurate answer you need to provide good accurate information.​

alek72us

Cadet

i'm sorry about not giving u accurate info. but if u do read what i have wrote above u. i ask about three times where do i find out what steering shaft do i have. so zackman pay more attention read the whole thing

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Believe it or not, I think most are trying to be helpful. You are going to have to crawul under your dash and look underneath and see what type of steering system you have. Chances are good it is either a rotary system or a rack type of system.

Go to the top of the home page and click on the upper left part of the screen:
"Boat Parts and Accessories"
Then go down to the section marked:
"Boat Steering Systems"

You will find Complete Rack Systems

and

Complete Rotary systems

By looking at the pictures you should be able to tell which system you have - or maybe something completely different.

But, as I said above, YOU need to push, pull, etc to see where the slop actually is. No one is going to be able to guess which "neoprene bushing" you need.

Maclin

Admiral

alek72us,

As I read this I was looking for a description of some symptoms that you were experiencing. All that you have is a statement from the previous owner and no symptoms of your own. Like others have said, it may not be what the other guy said at all. If the boat was seaworthy then a sea trial could have shown the symptoms. If it was not seaworthy then all you have to go on is what the other guy remembered about the boat when it was working. (Boat sellers have many reasons that they are selling the boat with "just that one thing" wrong with it even though it may all be in pieces.) I would definitely troubleshoot the entire boat, ALL systems first with no preconceived notions about if something is wrong and what it may be. You will get much more efficient answers because the questions you ask will be about real symptoms and effects. Then any subsequent parts search will also be more efficient.