14' Lone Star Worth it?

harrison10

Cadet
Got this boat for free, im looking to fix it up. It has really neat lines and flares in the back. A small nice lake boat. Vintage and classic it is. its all aluminum i think. Just needs to be sanded and a rebuilding of floor and seats. Im looking for info on the boat. Not looking for a price value, just thoughts. I will be trying to restore to a classic look. Does anyone have any pictures of these fixed up for inspiration. Will keep you all posted of progress :)

Attachments

• 102_2788 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    102_2788 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 102_2789 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    102_2789 [Desktop Resolution].jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 102_2790 [640x480].JPG
    102_2790 [640x480].JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 0

Landscaping Wiz 808

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 14' Lone Star Worth it?

Hi harrison10 - I don't have any info or pictures of a completed Lonestar, but that boat is DEFINITELY worth it! Very cool style and an even cooler emblem on the side!:cool: You can't beat that price with a stick either.

I'll be following this restoration.

BOB

beerfilter

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice old tinny runabout ! Needs a little love , and she will be good for another 40+ years with a little routine maintenance .

Not my cup of tea as I prefer an open bow , but it should work well for trolling / skiing/tubing/cruising . Bass fishing would be problematic ...

Some one put a lot of steel bolts and screws in her , make sure you replace them with stainless steel .

Wood in the transom is probably in worse shape than the paint , and , may be a PIA to replace . Not impossible , just not easy .

Upside is it appears you have your choice of motor leg lengths , as indicated by the taller motor brackets . That gives you a wider choice when hunting a bargain on a motor .

Not to shabby , over all , extra sweet for the price . Nice score .

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

that is a piece of boating history, Lone Star was ahead of the times, they actually introduced trailer boating, they had to build their own trailers, for their boats. they extremely well built boats. that boat would have had a 35 hp, but will handle a 50 hp very well. when this site gets back up it has great info on the Lone Stars.
http://www.fiberglassics.com/galleries.htm

i believe yours is a late 50's, if that is the chrome logo on the side, they are very rare. take good care of it.

harrison10

Cadet

Well thank you all for your input. My wife and I have completely gutted and cleaned out the inside, we will be replacing the wood, adding nicely stained wood on the interior. Any know where the serial or some kind of identification would be on this boat, im trying to figure out the year. Thanks for your help so far, i predict many more questions to come :)

ps. any recommendations on the wood and stain? to give a classic look.

OGR_mcdonald

Recruit

On my 1958 14' lone star runabout the serial number is located on the outboard side of the transom in the upper left where the wing meets the transom. It is stamped in the aluminum with 1/4" numbers. The cert. tag says it is rated for 40 HP max and will hold 718#'s. I am also in the beginning of restoring this boat. Will post some original pics for you very soon.

Last edited:

OGR_mcdonald

Recruit

harrison10, I cant upload my pics because my camera takes very high kb pics.
If you want to see what mine looks like PMl me and i will send you some.

Last edited by a moderator:

danond

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Upload pictures to photobucket.com and no worries about size.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Check out my Texas Maid at www.acmeoutboards.com
Not a Lonestar, but made in the Lone Star state and definitely the same vintage. They clean up nice.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

there are not records kept on the lonestars. just have to go by pictures of old ones.