Any way to adjust timming without tools

199675hpforce

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have no test light, last year i adjusted the idle up with some screw. It still shakes little bit stalls out but runs ok all out.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: Any way to adjust timming without tools

You need to do a link & sync according to your manual. Timing is just one of the steps. You can rent a timing light at your local auto parts store.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

OOOOOH! Would you mess with your car without the proper tools? Would you try to repair your house without tools? Would you want the aircraft mechanic of the airliner you ride in to treat it the way you treated your outboard?

Think about it this way: A timing light will cost less than 30 bucks and a manual about the same. So for the price of gas for one weekend, you will know what you are doing and use the proper tools.--A VERY INEXPENSIVE INVESTMENT considering the considerable damage you can do to the engine without them.

puddle jumper

Captain

One more recommendation get a manual. You would be surprised how easy it is to fix it correctly.

199675hpforce

Petty Officer 1st Class
i have a manual, there's only one carb

i have a manual, there's only one carb

so nothing really to sinc. Problem with manual it goes over every outboard lol i hate that. Just looking for correct way to get her running good. Top cyl seems to be lower comp than other. Its within specs last time i checked five years ago. Ive got it close now but think turning the timing screw might be good idea? If frank lived closed id offer some beers lol he rebuilt his. Will any timing light work? I could get a rental at autozone.