2.3l To 5.7l Swap

maxxman04

Petty Officer 1st Class
First, My Apologies If This Info Is On This Site Already. Spent Last Hour Searching, Can't Find It. My Question:

1989 Bayliner With 2.3l Ford Omc Mated To Cobra Outdrive. Needs New Exhaust Manifold And Riser. Other Option Is I Have Another Trash Boat That Has A 350 In It Mated To An Older Omc (1979, Square Transom). Again, My Apologies If My Info Is Off. I Was Told It Was An Omc Outdrive. The Trash Boat Still Has Everything Except The Outdrive. Everything. What Would I Need To Change Or Do To Make This Swap Happen? Would The Cobra Outdrive Handle The 350? I Do Understand It Needs To Be Regeared, Just Not Sure How Or What To Change. I'm Working On Getting A Book/manual For The Cobra, But Any Advice Is Greatly Appreciated.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2.3l To 5.7l Swap

Howdy,

Well,

Yes, you can do what you want. It will be a daunting task to be sure.

You will have scrounge engine mounts, manifolds, risers, Y-pipe, flywheel housing, (flywheel probably), coupler, shift plate/ESA parts,

There's probably more.....I'm just listing the stuff needed off the top of my head.

The drive ratio will be completely wrong. Instead of rebuilding the drive it would be easier to just get a drive with the correct ratio.

you will also need to install (fiberglass work) mounting blocks for the V-8 in the bilge area.

You could spend all summer doing this (and get a whole lot of time and money in it.....which won't be worth it...) or just get a manifold and riser for the 2.3 and go boating (if there's nothing else wrong with it)

Good luck!

Rick

maxxman04

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks for info. donor boat has all the exhaust and motor mounts. by my measurements, the mount pads (area) in bayliner will work fine. it sounds like i need the cobra v8 bell housing and cobra v8 drive, which is still half the cost of a manifold for the 2.3L ($2000!!!!!!!!!!!)

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Most mid 80's boats and newer were offered with a variety of engine choices so they put engine mounting points that would accommodate most of the popular engine configurations.

Since your boat is approx 20 years old you might want to inspect the transom, floor and stringers closely for water intrusion and rot.

If your drive is in good condition you it should be worth at least $700-1000 and it's in demand. You should be able to find a similar condition drive that will match up to a V-8 fairly easily. It should bolt right up to the gimbal. Your inner transom plate should be the same too. The y-pipe might be hard to find (although I have seen them on ebay) If you can't find one you can always go with thru hull exhaust (everybody will hate you though when you roar by)

It would be a good idea to get an OEM service manual. (Clymer/Seloc won't cut it)

Also, Go to http://www.hastings.org/~stuart/cobra/ and do a little reading.

You have a fairly big job ahead of you.

/////

You probably already know this but I'll say it anyway. Since you have a bunch of OMC parts you could sell, another option would be to pull everything and part it out. Then either use the money you get and put a little more with it and buy yourself a boat with a Mercruiser or a Volvo inside....Or scrounge yourself some Mercruiser engine parts (to bolt on that V-8) and get an Alpha gimbal, and drive.

In the long run you'd probably be money ahead. (I had an OMC 460 King Cobra in my current boat that I removed and replace with the current engine/drive)

Regards,

Rick

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

Trying to piece together power steering to add to your Cobra would be a pain. and a p/s cooler etc...
Finding a good Cobra V8 ratio drive is tough, and compatibility isn't as straightforward as Merc... different years require different shift rod dimensions for proper cable adjustment..

Since you have a bunch of OMC parts you could sell, another option would be to pull everything and part it out. Then either use the money you get and put a little more with it and buy yourself a boat with a Mercruiser or a Volvo inside....Or scrounge yourself some Mercruiser engine parts (to bolt on that V-8) and get an Alpha gimbal, and drive.

^^^ that makes the most sense to me.

Or, just sell everything and buy a running boat.

maxxman04

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks To All For All The Info. Not Dead Set On A Swap, Just Thinking Of It As An Option Versus The Money For A New Manifold For The 2.3. The Bilge Area Is Solid As A Rock Luckily, And Yes It Is Alot Of Work, Which I Don't Mind. Only Concern Is The Cost And How Easy I Can Get My Hands On A V8 Drive. Thanks Again For All The Info, Been A Great Help.