1961 18 hp

Sugashane

Cadet
this thing is driving me bananas! i recently rebuilt the carb. installed a tune-up kit, put in a new impeller and thermostat......it seems to be running fine, but for some reason it is still running hot. it peeing water like it's supposed to, but you could fry an egg on the heads! please help.

Sugashane

Cadet
Re: 1961 18 hp

also, i took the cover off of the thermostat and noticed that it is dry as a bone. I'm new to these outboards, but i do assume that water is supposed to be flowing thru that compartment.....right?

jbjennings

Captain

If it's pumping water, then water will be pouring out if you have the thermostat cover off. If it's spraying out the exhaust hole but not coming through the thermo passage, then you have yourself an obstruction in the head, I believe.
Good luck and don't keep letting it get that hot!:)
JBJ

wbeaton

Commander

Yup. Thermostat can't work without water. That motor doesn't "pee". Water comes out with the exhaust located midway down the back of the midsection. You should see lots of water coming out. Sounds like you need to make sure everything is lined up and connected properly. Make sure the water pump housing and wear plate are in good condition. The water tube is lined up with the pump housing and that all the grommets are in good shape. If it still runs hot then you need to remove the powerhead and go through all the passages.

Good luck. I hate cooling issues.

Sugashane

Cadet

sorry, when i said "pee" meant "spray". but it only sprays when i have it wide open, at low speeds i see nothing.

wbeaton

Commander

Actually, nevermind what I just said. Double check everything previously mentioned and then post back.

Last edited:

Sugashane

Cadet

one more question before i get back to work on it. when i dropped the lower unit, the brass water line was attached to the impeller houser. when i re-installed it i made sure that the line went into the space where the water sprays out. i could see the brass thru the three small holes in the exhaust. is do i have it in the right spot, or is it supposed to connect to something further up.?

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

The bottom end of the water tube connects to the water pump. The top end goes into the power head. Get the water tube into the power head first, then put the lower end on and align the tube with the water pump hole. It's pumping water, but it ain't hooked up to anything...

F_R

Supreme Mariner

one more question before i get back to work on it. when i dropped the lower unit, the brass water line was attached to the impeller houser. when i re-installed it i made sure that the line went into the space where the water sprays out. i could see the brass thru the three small holes in the exhaust. is do i have it in the right spot, or is it supposed to connect to something further up.?

Well I thought I'd heard it all, but not yet. NOW, I've heard it all! You are just pumping the water out the outlet, completely bypassing the powerhead.

The next reply says it but has the wrong term. The upper end of the water tube goes into a rubber grommet about half way up the housing, not really all the way up to the powerhead. Put it in that grommet first, then enter it into the water pump as you reinstall the lower unit.

Sugashane

Cadet

Well I thought I'd heard it all, but not yet. NOW, I've heard it all! You are just pumping the water out the outlet, completely bypassing the powerhead.

The next reply says it but has the wrong term. The upper end of the water tube goes into a rubber grommet about half way up the housing, not really all the way up to the powerhead. Put it in that grommet first, then enter it into the water pump as you reinstall the lower unit.

in my defense, that is the way the guy that i bought it from had it set up. I guess i was wrong when i assumed that he knew what he was doing. Looks like i might actually get it right now.....thanks guys!!!