Ford Engine

kstan

Recruit
Question........does anyone know if there's anyone manufacturing new boats, that are using small block ford engines....302 (5.0)....351 (5.8) or maybe the newer modular engines 4.6L or the 5.4L used in light duty trucks and SUV's.
Please reply............Thanks Kstan

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Ford Engine

I'd almost bet a dime Shamrock still is.

Bondo

Staff member

Nope,... Not since about 95 or so...Maybe later, but it's been along time...

TilliamWe

Banned

No, I know of noone. The only supplier of auto based engines (not outboards and big diesels) at this time is GM. Heck Ford doesn't even use the 302 and the 351 in their cars/trucks anymore!

haulnazz15

Captain

GM is the only supplier I know of as well. I doubt that will change since it's been that way for about 10 years or more. The 5.4L is a 330ci with 320HP with lots of low-end torque, and wouldn't be a bad option but I'm sure Mercruiser won't be looking at doing anything with it.

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

In the real world, Mercruiser asks for bids on an engine that will produce xxx horsepower. ANY company that can produce that engine, for the LOWEST cost will get the contract. The business world has NO loyalty to ANY ONE COMPANY, if you can give Mercruiser xxx number of engines cheaper than GM, you would be supplying engines to Mercruiser. The pecking order is something like:
1. Cost
2. Reliability
3. End User Satisfaction (The guy buying the boat)
Mercruiser builds it's own top end and racing engines (Research and Development), but as far as stock run of the mill engines (95%), Mercruiser doesn't touch them, the engine manufacturer is responsible to deliver a unit ready to bolt into a hull.

kstan

Recruit

Your right Ford no longer produces the small block engine for production, but neither does GM produce the 305 or the 350 engines that are in most boats today. GM has changed its engine program to the newer LS series that's found in trucks and SUV's

TilliamWe

Banned

Your right Ford no longer produces the small block engine for production, but neither does GM produce the 305 or the 350 engines that are in most boats today. GM has changed its engine program to the newer LS series that's found in trucks and SUV's

True, but since GM was supplying the entire marine industry, they moved all production of those motors to Mexico, and still crank out a bunch of them. Does Ford even make 302/351s at all?

haulnazz15

Captain

You can still buy Ford 302/351 crate motors from Ford Racing and the like, but they do not use any of them in production vehicles. If I was choosing between them, I'd get something like a 427ci.