Carpet replacement tips

watchinthebobber

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm getting ready to replace the carpet in my boat. I know the basics, but would like to get as much information as possible to hopefully help the installation go smoothly. If there are any tips please post them here.

My first question has to do with choosing new carpet. I've looked online at all different types, but would like to know which is best. Do I just go with the most expensive carpet? I want something that will last. Any specific recommendations?

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: Carpet replacement tips

I work for a pontoon maker and used that carpet,28 or 32 oz I believe.

It is REALLY nice and plush but is a little hard to work with as it is so thick but the price was right, $0.00.

I redid a buddies boat and he used the outdoor carpet a Menards or Lowes and it has held up really well and is thin so it is really easy to work with but it isn't real soft.

You don't say what kind of boat but both of the ones I did I had to recut the wood so I carpeted each peice and then put them on the boat.

Laid the carpet on the part and cut it giving myself a couple inches all the way around then roll it over the edge and staple it.

One thing to watch is that almost all carpet has grain so you need to match that up throughout the boat, I had a livewell door with the grain sideways and i had to redo it.

If you have a specific question I will try to answer it.

Good luck.

ruffinit

Seaman Apprentice

I just finished re-carpeting my boat. New carpet almost makes it look like a new boat. I shopped around and ending up buying 20oz. carpet from bassboatcarpets.com.
They had the best price, and yes, as 5150abf describes heavier carpet is nice, but......it would have caused me problems with hatches, etc. some of them are a bit tight as it is. The 20 oz seems thick enough for my tastes.

Definately run all the grain in the same direction. I chalk marked the bottom of my roll of carpet with arrows, and kept all arrows pointed toward the bow.

Other than that, keep your blades sharp, use old carpet as a template wherever possible, and go for it.

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer

I did my bass boat twice. The first time i used carpet from Home Depot It lasted about 4 years. The second time i used Boat carpet it has now been years and looks like new. My carpet was so bad i couldn't use it as a template. To help me remove it i used acetone and soaked the carpet then started pulling it up with my hands and a putty knife. This was a B--ch The acetone wont hurt the gelcoat and it helps dissolve the glue. When i got all the old carpet up i made a template with paper. This helped with matching all the grain in carpet from hatches to floor. Remove all the hatches and sand down. I used a wire wheel on a drill for mine (it worked great). When gluing the new carpet down don't use to much glue just a thin coat is all you need. And don't walk on it for 24 hrs. You don't want the glue to soak through the new carpet. Use sharp razer blades to cut and trim carpet. Hope this helps.

sportsmanphil

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just recarpeted my boat. The sections of the boat that was wood also got new wood, so that part was easy. The aluminum sections was a pain. The carpet glue wont stick to old glue so you have to get all the old glue off the metal pieces. Getting the old glue off is a pain in the arse as the glue doesnt dry hard, it stays kinda gooey. I used paint stipper for the large sections.

The glue has to be spread with a trowel (with teeth) just like spreading thin set for tile. So dry fit your carpet pieces before spreading the glue.

watchinthebobber

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks so far, all excellent feedback!

I see Bass Pro sells a real reasonable kit that comes with carpet, glue, push pins, and template paper. One heck of a deal really. The carpet is 16 oz. though and I'm wondering if it will be ok. It's for our Bayliner open bow fish/ski. We always keep it covered and out of the weather when storing. I'm leaning toward using the 16 oz. carpet or should I go more plush?

FlyinGuy1017

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I just re-redid my '92 searay this last weekend (by necessity, not choice). Turned out MUCH better than I'd planned. Be sure to get all the old glue off. I used a cupped wire brush on an angle grinder, made lots of 'glue buggers'. Then hit it with an orbital sander for the 'buggers', then vaccumed (and vaccumed 5 more times while sanding). Take your time while cutting for fit. Take your time while cutting for fit (worth saying again:)). I used weights in the corners while trying to align the helm kick pannels. When gluing, start with the most complex areas first (the front & helm). Take it forward to past the helm, then the rest is easy.

From the beer and the glue vapors, you should be 'flying' after the front section. The last half you'll need to call for help from the shipmates to roll it out!

Good luck!

sportsmanphil

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used abrasive disk's in a grinder too but it took too much of the aluminum in the process.

Let me add one thing that happened to me. Ive worked in auto shops for years and had more chemicals, fluids and crud on my skin, in my eyes, in my lungs and even in my ears. Ive never had a reaction to anything.

For some reason, when I was grinding/sanding and scraping the glue off two aluminum hatch doors and door frames, I had "something" happen.

The first night of grinding I had a rash on my right arm. It was gone the next morning. No biggie right? Second night after I finished the same mess, I ended up with a rash down my entire left side of my body (arm, chest, stomach) I figured it would be gone in the morning and the rash looking mess was but my hands were puffy and had a deep itch, like the bones in my hands were itching. My hands stayed swollen for about 24 hours.

So, wear latex gloves and a breathing mask of some sorts when grinding or sanding the glue. I had no reaction to the new glue, only on the days of grinding the old stuff off.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Thanks so far, all excellent feedback!

I see Bass Pro sells a real reasonable kit that comes with carpet, glue, push pins, and template paper. One heck of a deal really. The carpet is 16 oz. though and I'm wondering if it will be ok. It's for our Bayliner open bow fish/ski. We always keep it covered and out of the weather when storing. I'm leaning toward using the 16 oz. carpet or should I go more plush?

I used BassPro's glue 4 years ago and it's TERRIBLE! Very poor adhesion.

watchinthebobber

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I found a pretty good article that covers carpet replacement in the April '09 issue of Boating magazine. It mentions when shopping for carpet to not go lower than 16 oz. or higher than 20 oz.

q5ka

Seaman

I would recommend to use carpet/canvas snaps instead of glue. This way the carpet gets wet or dirty with fish goo, you can pull the carpet out easily, clean it or let it dry and get all that moisture away from your deck.