Mercury 115 Leaking Fuel

RodFlicker

Recruit
I have a '96 mercury 115. This motor was recently purchased and I have not had it out on the water yet. It starts and runs well and has great compression. One problem I have noticed is that the motor seems to leak fuel after it is turned off. The fuel seems to be dripping out of the carburetors and collecting in the motor housing. I am thinking this is simply unburned fuel that is left in the carbs when the motor is turned off. It is probably only an ounce or two of fuel. It's just a pain because it drips into the back of the boat and down the motor so it needs to be cleaned all the time. First, is this little bit of extra fuel in the carbs normal? Second, if so, is there anything I can do to keep this from getting all over the boat all the time?

Laddies

Banned
Re: Mercury 115 Leaking Fuel

If your tilting the motor it's normal and the only way to stop it is to run some of the fuel out of the carb bowls by disconnectint the fuel line. Kinda like trying to tip a glass of water on it's side with the glass full. If you not tipping it the inlet needles are leaking or the floats are set to high.