to rebuild a prop or not

brian3127

Chief Petty Officer
i brought my prop to a boat shop to get a new one. and the guy behind the desk told me that mine wasnt in bad shape. that he could send it out and have it rebuilt. and it would cost me about $60. i for got about dropping it off. now im wondering if i should have it done because there are only a couple dings on the outside of the fin and one is slightly mushroomed about 1 inch along the edge on another fin. would it make the boat faster or better if i fix it. yeah its only $60 but if i can save $60 that would be good. i have 2 props and they are both in about the same shape.

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: to rebuild a prop or not

If you take care of your prop yor prop will take care of you. Better hole shot, better top end speed, better fuel economy, no vibration issues damaging gears bearings clutch and seals.

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Obviously, if you were taking it in to get a new one and they run $300 plus. Then the $60.00 to rebuild the old one is a pretty good deal.

brian3127

Chief Petty Officer

i know $60 is the better deal. im just wondering if i should have it done the guy at the boat store said the prop wasnt in bad shape.

boat1010

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I don't think you can go wrong getting the prop reworked. It doesn't take much to get it out of balance. My opinion you did the right thing.

fortyfreak9

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I am kind of in the same situation, I can spend $80-$100 on getting my stainless steel rebuilt or buy a new aluminum one for $100+. And I am defently getting it rebuilt. The people I have talked to say the prop is like new after and the place that is doing the work said, it will be like new or better. I would recommend you getting rebuilt, no point in paying double for the same thing.