How to Run Outboard in the Garage

brettagostini

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm rebuilding an '81 Ev. Once I get it back together (its in pieces now) I'm going to need to start it up in my garage. (If it starts!)

I have muffs for it... but the problem is a. my garage has little/no drainage and I'll be standing in water in no time, and b. I live in the city, and if I run this thing (a 140 hp) for more than 5 minutes with just muffs the neighbors will call the cops.

I'm thinking I can go to Lowe's and buy a BIG trash can, slip it around the lower unit, and fill it with a hose... running the motor that way.

Is this feasible? If not, is there some other way to build a cheap, simple "tank" to run the motor in?

Thanks!

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: How to Run Outboard in the Garage

140 hp and a trash can is not a good idea in my book. Stick with the muffs or get a "test prop" that can be used in a test tank.
Any particular reason that you need to run for more than 5 minutes anyway ???

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Water is the least of your problems, Brett. CO, carbon monoxide, is a deadly poison that your engine will produce. In a closed area it would be suicide.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

If you do decide to run it in the garage be sure to let your wife know how much to sell the boat for afterwards...The least you will suffer is drain bamage:)

gss036

Commander

Heed the above warnings. Use muffs and hose, but build you a drain basin with blocks or wood with black plastic to funnel the water out of you garage and have a fan (BIG?HIGH VOLUME) running to move in fresh air or extraciate the motor fumes and you may get away with it for 2-3 minutes.
It really does,t take long for carbon monoxide to do it's dirty job on your brain.

Bard1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good idea! Make sure you vent good! don't put it in gear. A 140 is big.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

BAD IDEA: Unless your garage is detatched, it will almost immediately set off the smoke alarms in your house. That engine at 600 RPM idle is going to take in about one cubic foot of air per second and probably emit more than double that in burned products.

The smoke and fumes get everywhere really quickly. A big hose like a dryer vent hose over the exhaust at the prop may help

Neighbors will be the least of your worries. If the engine doesn't kill you, your wife will! LOL