removing the pivot for the tilt...

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
so have this motor of mine torn apart all the way down to removing the tilt -trim unit and splitting the mount bracket...now I have the main body that houses the Pivot for the motor for turning and for the the motor tilting...

the tstainless steel tube that runs through this part , that the steering cable goes through, needs to come out now...or at least i want to take it out to replace the bushing..I melted one slightly when I had to heat one of the halves on one side to remove it.

there are two holes that go through the casting, that look like they might have been set screws...it is hard to tell...is the tube press fitted in??

346xjdw.jpg

thanks

bob

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: removing the pivot for the tilt...

Those are for your grease fittings.

Behind those holes should be nylon swivel bracket bushings to keep the union lubricated.

Attachments

• Swivel Bracket.JPG
    Swivel Bracket.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 0

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

I saw that after i posted, but the threads are barely noticable and there were no grease fittings there.

is the pipe press fitted????

bob

jonesg

Admiral

Have you tried installing 2 nuts on the threads, lock one against the other and try twisting the tube by the outter nut to loosen it?
If it starts moving, have someone tap it out as you twist, use a wooden block to prevent mushrooming the end of the tube. Use some lube.

If all else fails take it to a machine shop and have them press it out.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

Have you tried installing 2 nuts on the threads, lock one against the other and try twisting the tube by the outter nut to loosen it?
If it starts moving, have someone tap it out as you twist, use a wooden block to prevent mushrooming the end of the tube. Use some lube.

If all else fails take it to a machine shop and have them press it out.

I ll give that a try to day.....on a similar note....in this system what is supposed to be solid and what is supposed to rotate?

it seems like since the shaft is bushed in the center section, that that is where the movement should take place...and not in the outer halves.. is that true?

if so how is the outer halve held to prevent rotation?

thanks

bob

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

In your picture, the pipe-like part rotates inside the two arms of the swivel bracket. It is contained within two nylon sleeves as the diagram shows. It is not press fit.

A little oil in the holes should give enough lube for you to knock it out with a rubber mallet.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

In your picture, the pipe-like part rotates inside the two arms of the swivel bracket. It is contained within two nylon sleeves as the diagram shows. It is not press fit.

A little oil in the holes should give enough lube for you to knock it out with a rubber mallet.

when you say "two arms of the swivel bracket"

do you mean the two sides of the part shown in my picture?

or do you mean the two halves that go on either side of the part in the picture???

seems like the part should rotate inside the bushed parts!

bob

bankerjohn

Chief Petty Officer

Having repaired the tilt stop lever on my Yamaha 115 motor, I can tell you that a steel shaft that's supposed to rotate easily on lubricated nylon bushings can feel like it's glued in place if the bushings have gotten dried out and damaged!

I'd recommend some PB blaster in the holes designed for grease fittings ... let it set a bit ... then try tapping the shaft out one side or the other with a brass drift. It should come out without a lot of effort.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

I soaked the edges with KROIL for an hour or so and then drove it out with a big copper hammer and a plastic block!..

now I have it as far apart as i will go.

the tilt sending unit apparently wasnt being used..the wires were cut.

and one of the bolts were busted off.

how important is the sending unit??

it is like $76 to buy new!!!...then I wonder were the wires would go!!!

I can see for myself how far the motor is tilted or trimmed...

if there is a guage that can tell me exactly were it is trimmed, that might be good to know.

bob

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The sending unit on the transom bracket is strictly for the trim gauge. The unit is a variable resistance device similar to a gasoline gauge.

If you have the five wire harness for the tilt and trim, the tan and black and the tan and white wires go from the sender to the trim gauge.

jonesg

Admiral

I don't use a trim guage, the wiring is taped off.
My bow is the trim guage.