Starting Problems 260 mercury

NHbwhntr

Recruit
Ok guys, New to the sight here and first time boat owner, Inherited a 84 wellcraft 210 elite. One issue that i am having is that when i turn the key the what i believe is the ignition solenoid clicks but nothing was turning at the starter so i had replaced the starter and then when the key turned the starter would engage but not turn the motor almost as if the bendix was not engaging, I removed the starter to make sure that there werent any more issues that i had not seen and everything looked good. I reinstalled the starter and once again turned the key only to once again getting that solenoid popping but nothing working back at the starter. all contacts have been cleaned and the cable coming from the battery has been replaced along with the battery itself... any ideas?

bhammer

Ensign
Re: Starting Problems 260 mercury

Are you sure the engine is not seized up? Have you tried to turn the flywheel with a pry bar when you had the starter out, or the harmonic balancer?

Also, you may want to read http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=288430 for item #1. What engine, year and the setup???

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Pull the spark plugs and see if you can turn the engine over by hand. If you can't, pull the outdrive off and see if you can then turn the engine.

NHbwhntr

Recruit

Yes i have pulled the plugs and was able to turn the crank with ease, I know that the motor is not seized.. should have mentioned that in my first post, the boat is an 1984 Wellcraft Elite, 260 Merc with Alpha One Drive,

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Go up to the Adults Only sticky and have a look at the How to testing your starting system.

AZSenza

Chief Petty Officer

Use a friend and volt meter to see how many volts your getting after the solenoid (During start) and see how much the voltage drops, it may be a weak battery... I have Dual batteries, one of them has a not so tight connection on a terminal lug/wire. I know this and with a full battery, it just clicks the solenoid but if I wiggle that cable I get a start. Ya I need to fix it before the crazy season but for now I have faith in my chargers and other battery. You also might try jump starting it off a nearby car or truck.

NHbwhntr

Recruit

Go up to the Adults Only sticky and have a look at the How to testing your starting system.

Thanks Don S, I will give that a try that was pretty much what i was looking for. I'll post on what the outcome turns out being and hopefully it all good.

NHbwhntr

Recruit

Use a friend and volt meter to see how many volts your getting after the solenoid (During start) and see how much the voltage drops, it may be a weak battery... I have Dual batteries, one of them has a not so tight connection on a terminal lug/wire. I know this and with a full battery, it just clicks the solenoid but if I wiggle that cable I get a start. Ya I need to fix it before the crazy season but for now I have faith in my chargers and other battery. You also might try jump starting it off a nearby car or truck.

It does have a fresh new charged battery along with new cables. Originally that what i believed the problem to be as well. Im going to try out what Don S had posted and see what happens, Thanks again to all who suggested.. Will post back soon.