mercruiser 260 oil capacity? is it 5 or 6?

weider1717

Petty Officer 1st Class
I figured it was 5 like most reg gm 350's but think I read where it was 6...

I bought 5 qts of oil the other week and was gonna go change it then just thought about that..

thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: mercruiser 260 oil capacity? is it 5 or 6?

Put in 5 (better yet 4) run the engine to fill the filter and check the dipstick and see what it actually takes.

weider1717

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok, most 350's thats what I do but I swear I read where it was 6qts a couple days ago..

but I bet that person was wrong. My original manual doesn't even say.

dgopetactical

Chief Petty Officer

The merc manual does call for 6 qt....I would buy 6qt and do what Don says and put 4-5 qt in run the engine and then add oil to fill line. My 5.7 calls for 6 and only takes 5 1/2. in the future put your engine year..
Denny

weider1717

Petty Officer 1st Class

well I started her up for the first time since last fall and let it run for a bit then shut it off and changed the oil.

I filled the filter and put in 5 qt's and it put it exactly on the full mark...

now I didn't fill the filter before I put it on 100% but pretty darn close.. like 90%

I assume once I start it up now it might drop the level a tad but I'm sure it will be in operating range and still towards the high end.

we'll see...I just didn't feel like pulling it back out and hooking up the muffs etc..

oh ya...btw the oil filter I put on it I got from the dealer it's a mercury/mercruiser filter and it's a pretty short one..maybe thats making the 1/2-1qt difference?

Ridemywideglide

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Same as I did on my OMC 260. NEVER put an empty filter on any engine.

a70eliminator

Captain

Very few people actually fill their oil filters before installing, and I'm sure none of the drive thru quicky lubes do it either, not that it wouldn't be a good thing to do but just not necessary, the oil filter on my jeep sits horizontal if i was to fill the filter before installing I would have a big mess.