Clear inline fuel filter in sun light?

darrendlw

Cadet
I just installed a clear inline fuel filter on my boat. It would not fit under the outboard motor hood so it is located outside the motor housing. When I installed it and ran the motor yesterday the fuel was nice and clear looking. Today the fuel looks yellow and a little varnished. It appears to be just the fuel in the clear part of the filter though because I squeezed the primer bulb and a clearer fuel was sucked through it. Is gas affected by sunlight so much as to cause varnish to form within a few days in an exposed clear glass inline fuel filter?

http://forums.iboats.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25250&stc=1&d=1238266987

Attachments

• Clear fuel filter small.jpg
    Clear fuel filter small.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 0

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Clear inline fuel filter in sun light?

I don't know the answer to your question, but that has to be the prettiest inline fuel filter I have ever seen! I want one, now!

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer

I just installed a clear inline fuel filter on my boat. It would not fit under the outboard motor hood so it is located outside the motor housing. When I installed it and ran the motor yesterday the fuel was nice and clear looking. Today the fuel looks yellow and a little varnished. It appears to be just the fuel in the clear part of the filter though because I squeezed the primer bulb and a clearer fuel was sucked through it. Is gas affected by sunlight so much as to cause varnish to form within a few days in an exposed clear glass inline fuel filter?

http://forums.iboats.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=25250&stc=1&d=1238266987
Yes! For the same reason I do not leave my jerry cans in the sun.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Sunlight contains ultra-violet light which is a high energy component that penetrates many materials. It is just as strong on a cloudy day as in full bright. Just as it can redden your skin in as little as 15 minutes exposure (depending upon skin type and other factors), YES, it can affect your fuel that is exposed to it.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

That is a nice install, way nice than my plastic one.

I did mine similar to that last year and haven't had a problem but I keep my boat in the garage.

Even if it does do something to the gas it such a small amount you wouldn't think it would matter.

MercGuy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've been using a set up very similar to yours for 10 years. Never had a problem with it.

I do store my boat indoors for what that's worth.

darrendlw

Cadet

Thanks for everyone's input. The filter is after a water seperating filter that is rated for 10 micron. So, the inline one is just to see if there might be water or something else getting past the first one.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for everyone's input. The filter is after a water seperating filter that is rated for 10 micron. So, the inline one is just to see if there might be water or something else getting past the first one.
If you have a 10um filter in front of it I don't see the point of a second filter. Anything passing through the 10um seperator will pass right through the in-line. Not to mention you just put an increased burden on your fuel pump.