Side Panel Construction

gi007

Cadet
Anyone have any suggestions for side panel construction for 1971 Fiberglass Starcraft Delray V Hull???

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Side Panel Construction

1/4 marine plywood cover how ever you like, mount with stainless screws and trim washers.

gi007

Cadet

Sounds like a winner to me...... thanks

erikgreen

Captain

That's the standard. I've seen a few other good ideas too.

One is to use teak or a similar wood, attach planks to a frame horizontally with gaps between and use that for sides. It looks better than it sounds.

Also I've seen boats with the top cap trimmed, the edge of the fiberglass with a protector or channel on it, and the inside of the hull painted. Makes a small hull a bit bigger.

If you're skilled enough to do it, fiberglass panels with molded shelves are nice and low maintenance. It's a pretty flat shape, so it can make a good first fiberglass molding project.

But yeah, marine ply (or a good exterior grade) with covering is a nice standard way to go. Use stainless steel staples or a waterproof adhesive to hold the covering in place. Lots of threads here involving simple upholstery work. Don't forget a thin foam pad anywhere someone might lean, or use foam backed vinyl there... it makes a big difference in comfort and wear.

Erik