Force 125 HP 1989 Picture

tbebko

Seaman Apprentice
This is how we bought the Quantum boat with the motor in this shape. Are the questions on the pics right? What do you think about the putty that the previous owner put on. We are taking it to get a skeg welded on and the prop to be reworked.

Attachments

• bottom of motor.jpg
    bottom of motor.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 0
  • bottom of motor 2.jpg
    bottom of motor 2.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 0

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Force 125 HP 1989 Picture

OUCH! That was a hard hit onto rocks.

Before you get the skeg welded, grind off the epoxy putty and see of the case is cracked. Also check the run-out on the prop shaft to see if it is bent. That's a deep gouge in the front and although there is plenty of metal thickness there, I suspect the epoxy back by the skeg. The case is only about 3/16 inch thick there.

Then if it is repairable, from the welder get a complete price for welding on a skeg AND filling the gouges with aluminum. Then develop an opinion if it is worth repairing or buying a used gearcase.

Understand that welding is an exteremly high heat process and the aluminum transfers this heat very effectively. While the transferred heat will not harm the gears, the seals may be damaged. Expect to replace them. Residual oil will be ashed at the weld site and possibly gummed in other areas. It would be best to give the welder the case clean with nothing in it.

Your arrows are correct: The drain is marked correctly and the screw you should not touch is also marked correctly.

With the drain plug installed, you must fill from the front screw (fill) until oil comes out the rear screw (vent). With the gearcase vertical, let it sit for a half hour or so to let air rise then top off. This is absolutely necessary to ensure that the oil level is high enough to lubricate the top bearing.

tbebko

Seaman Apprentice

We took it to Bass Pro Shop before the winter. They said around $200 for the used bottom piesce and around $150 for fixing the prop. Now they are saying that they do not want to work on the motor because there are no parts available for them. The shop we are going to wants around $200 for welding the skeg on and around $150 for prop work.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

200 for just a skeg is a little bit high. I had a skeg welded on for 100 but I had the skeg. A skeg costs around 35-50 bucks alone.

Again, 150 for the prop repair is a bit high--I had a Stainless prop fixed for 90 bucks and that included welding one blade tip.

That is a single exhaust gearcase--see my private message to you.

brose

Cadet

I have the same motor and ran into a boulder in the river, if you are looking for a new prop, go to PropMD.com, they have new props for that motor in both the aluminum and stainless as well as the regularblack coated steel all for around $150.00 and you can order different pitches too. Check it out, you might find it cost effective to order rather than having repair work done. Good luck.

tbebko

Seaman Apprentice

OK, its fixed. They welded a new skeg on and evened out / polished the prop. They also filled in all the gauges in the bottom of the lower unit. How much you ask? - $440. It looks brand new now.

seaman campbell

Chief Petty Officer

While you have it apart I would most definitely replace the seals and o-rings. Parts are available for that motor, I have the exact same and found several web sites that have them in stock. A seal kit for the l/u is under $65. Well worth it IMO. Check Crowley Marine click on gearcase...item number 74

TC