Rebuilt carb - Now motor Dies at Fast throttle

gnarbrah

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all - I just got my last part delivered yesterday for rebuilding the carb on my 88' Johnson 20hp. Replaced the float chamber and high speed jet, cleaned the carb body and replaced float, needle valve and all gaskets. I reinstalled on the motor and it cranked up 4th pull and seems to idle fairly well. Once I throttle up to where the "butterfly" thing starts to open I can hear it suck air but completely bogs down and dies.

Any thoughts on what this could be?

Rick.

Captain
Re: Rebuilt carb - Now motor Dies at Fast throttle

Did you do a linc and sync? Rick.

gnarbrah

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not sure what that is so I'm guessing I didn't.

How do I go about doing that?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

now did you replace the high speed jet or the needle valve seat, some get them confused. the high speed jet is deep inside behing the bowl drain plug. your motor acts like the high speed is still clogged.

gnarbrah

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I replaced the needle valve (at the hinge point of the float) and the high speed orifice in the middle of the bowl at the bottom. The needle came with the carb rebuild kit and I bought the orifice off ebay. The original one had been mangled to where you couldn't even remove it. So now I have a brand new bowl / float chamber, hs orifice and drain plug / nipple (for primer attachment). The old one was broken off and JB Welded together.

I also have the OMC manual for 9.9 through 30 motors that I'm going through now trying to understand this lync and sync procedure. I'll get a video of what it's doing up shortly.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the link n sinc, is not hard, just follow the steps, but do not skip one.

gnarbrah

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Update time - First thing is I am complete moron of the day. I went back out to make sure I didn't forget anything when I put the carb back together and boy did I screw up. I forgot the washer for the float valve seat, I forgot the float bowl gasket AND I put the float in upside down. As I said, moron of the day.....

Anyway, I pulled it all apart again and fixed the above issues and reinstalled and started her up. Seems to run fantastic now! Throttles up nicely and seems to idle much lower and smoother than before. Do I really need to do the lync and sync? I played around with the steps just to get a feel for what it is and I think I can do it but I'd rather take it for a test run first to see how it goes. Too bad it's blowing 20 knots today - not a Carolina Skiff's ideal weather.

Also, what kind of "mileage" can I expect running a 20 horse on 6 gallons of fuel? I know a 9.9 will run all day but the only time I took this motor out it sucked it down like a 454 big block. Granted it was running like crap - super rich.

Thanks again -

Rick.

Captain

gnarbrah: Thanks for your honesty in your last post. When someone says I did this or that you assume they did it right. I work in the repair business (not motors) and I've always learned that you can't assume anything when starting at a problem. The linc and sinc is important for optimum performance. I would think your manual would have it but I know some of those multi yr./model repair books can hide all the information you need. Anyway, glad to hear your ready to run again. Rick.

Dale Price

Cadet

Hello,

Guys I'm having the same problem, I have a 1989 25hp Evin. and at low speed works fine, but at high it boggs out. What is the link and sinc?
I clean Carb too.

Thanks, Dale

Rick.

Captain

Hi Dale. Please start a new thread for your problem with as much detail as possible. Piggy backing someone else's thread is not a good idea. These things can get a mile long all on their own. Say you get two or three replies and then tomorrow gnarbrah comes back and says his motor is doing it again can you see the confusion in who is answering who? Your sure to get lots of help from the forum but please follow the rules. Rick.