Hello Everyone, Please help with turning over motor for the first time in a year

77mutiny

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys, i've been working on rebuilding a 77 bayliner mutiny and have finally gotten around to getting the motor back on.
i still have a few more electrical lines to hook up, but i would like to try starting it this weekend.
i'm going to have a buddy of mine help me who knows more about boat motors than myself, but i had a few questions before i get it to him, so i can be fully prepared.
first the model number is E90TLCOS and serial is J0570488
i have been told its an 88, but then i read CO means 1985....so i dunno
anyways its a 90hp 2cycle v4 outboard
i know that getting a copy of the owners manual is a good idea but that could take a week or two.
it was running when i took it off the boat and has been sitting for about 8 or 9 months, i didn't really know what i was doing at the time so i didn't drain the carbs or anything, i just disconnected all lines and sat it aside..

so if anyone can help me out with a checklist or steps that i may want to take before turning it over, it would be very appreciated.
i also am wondering what i might want to set the spark plug gaps to, and what mix of fuel to oil ratio should i start out with for the first run? 50/50 or something else?

thanks in advance

Rick.

Captain
Re: Hello Everyone, Please help with turning over motor for the first time in a year

First item at the top of this forum " Top Secret Stuff". Lots of pointers there.
Fuel mix is 50:1 Good luck. Rick.

77mutiny

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Hello Everyone, Please help with turning over motor for the first time in a year

thanks man, who would have thought it would be under "top secet stuff" :)
thats a pretty detailed checklist, should be helpful

still looking for help on possible spark plug gap's???
until i can get ahold of a manual, i tried calling evinrude but they don't even offer support for anything past 97, i suppose it's reasonable, they can't keep track of 50 years worth of motors, but it sucks for me:(

maybe if someone has a similiar model they can give me an idea?
thanks

oh and i know better than to be thinking 50/50......don't know why i wrote that

77mutiny

Seaman Apprentice

mmmhmm..... sorry for being that guy everyone...

google is a wonderful thing.

found some charts showing i should be at about .30 for a gap.

thanks anyways

Rick.

Captain

.030 is dead on for plug gap. Rick.