What should I do???

Dry Diver

Seaman
I have a 16' Achillies with a 40HP 2stroke Merc on it. I am going to be towing the boat on a flat bed style trailer. I really don't want to tow it with the motor on the transom. I am afraid of the excessive bouncing and abuse that the transom will take while driving.

My questions are as follows.

I will be taking the motor off and laying it on its side inside the boat. Is there going to be any issue doing this? Do I need to run the gas out of the motor before doing this? I know that on the little 2 stroke motors that I used to run on my RC air plane (119" wingspan) so maybe not that little, It was bad for the motor because it would go lean causing it to heat up fast for a few seconds before it would quit. Will I have the same problem here or will it be ok as long as the motor is run out while it is still in the water.

Thanks in advance for all the input.

bullbat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: What should I do???

you should not have any issues with laying the engine on the side its nothing like the rc engines in ur plane you should be fine laying it on its side. like you said prolly best to run the carbs dry and then let'er ride.

Dry Diver

Seaman
Re: What should I do???

So there shouldn't be any issues with the motor being run out of gas going lean then???