wondering if I need a new starter?

swifty

Recruit
I have a 1999 taho q5 with a 5.0 ltr v8 mercrusier with thunderbolt v ignition. It sat in storage for about 3 months. I charged the batteries then when to crank it, its always been a hard starter when its cold let it crank for about 10 to 15 seconds tell it almost started, battery terminals got extremely hot, let it cool for 20 minutes and cranked it again it started to crank then sudenly stopped (sounds like somthings jamming) hopfully not the motor, I had to leave when I came back couple hours later cranked it again it started to crank for 2 seconds or so then did the same thing? how do I know if my starter is bad or not? or if its something else?

180shabah

Rear Admiral
Re: wondering if I need a new starter?

If it is spinning I doubt it is the starter.

pull the spark plugs, any water in the cylinders?
Will it turn over with the plugs removed?
Water shoot out of the plug holes?
Is this a saltwater of freshwater boat?
How old are the manifolds/elbows?

If the above doesn't reveal anything, pull the drive. Does it still "bind up" when trying to start?

Is this EFI or carbed? If carb which one, and do you know how to start a carbed engine?

rainman81

Recruit

could just be the solenoid going bad.Also check the connections on all your wires.I have a 99 glastron with the 5.0 merc and when i went to the boat dock last week i backed in the water then jumped in the boat and turned the key,the starter turned but the motor didnt so i went home and pulled the starter and the housing had broke in half where the gear is.Although theres only 2 bolts holding on the starter they are a pain to get off but your best bet may be to take it off and take it to autozone they will check it for free and let you know if anythings wrong with it hope this helps.Oh yeah they can match up yours for a regular starter i bought 1 with a lifetime guarantee for $140.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Oh yeah they can match up yours for a regular starter i bought 1 with a lifetime guarantee for $140.

Was it a marine starter, or auto?
smiley-shocked026.gif

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

battery terminals got extremely hot,

That alone tells me you have loose, corroded terminals. get them fixed.

its always been a hard starter when its cold let it crank for about 10 to 15 seconds tell it almost started
Since it's a carbed engine, do you pump the throttle a couple times and give it some throttle to start? If not, you should. It's not EFI like a car.
If you do, then why don't you fix the starting problem, like maybe a tuneup.

cranked it again it started to crank then sudenly stopped (sounds like somthings jamming) hopfully not the motor
Remove the starter and have it checked out.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

15 seconds is an awefully long crank time.

With pretty much any engine.... if you have to crank it more than 5 seconds then there is some sort of issue going on that should be fixed instead of ignored.

mark1905

Chief Petty Officer

Was it a marine starter, or auto?
smiley-shocked026.gif

For less than you can blow yourself up with at Autozone, you could have an actual marine starter..

http://www.db-starter-alternator.com/Starter Motors/Marine/Inboard/

Go DB Electrical

Also, like Don said.. where there is heat in an electrical system, there is resistance. Since there is heat at the battery terminals, it most likely means there is resistance in your path from the battery to the starter. Clean up those terminals, and get yourself a new starter cable from Wally World. Only a few bucks and it's good to do anyway.

I'm crazily meticulous when it comes to my electrical/ignition system. If something is rusty or old, it gets replaced no questions asked. Spray a shot of WD40 on your terminals at the battery and starter every once in a while, too.. Keeps the moisture at bay and the rust from forming. As long as everything is always shiny and kept up with, you magically never have these problems!