wiring help

maineiac5586

Chief Petty Officer
I Have A 76 Mercury 500 That I Need Help With. The Wiring In The Engine Is Not In Good Shape. There Are Small Wires Coming Off The Switch Box White Wire In Particular (that Looks Like It Runs Up Under Flywheel) . The Wire Insulation Is Crumbling When I Touch It And The Bare Wires Are Really Corroded. There Are A Couple Of Other Wires As Well Like This. One Runs From Left Corner Of Switch Box To Top Coil Other Runs From Some Blue Capacitor Looking Device Above Starter Solenoid. What Can I Do With These Wires ?? The Wires Are Ran Tightly And Don't Know How Much Has To Come Apart To Access Harness? Is A Harness Available To Take Care Of All The Wires In Engine?? Is It Worth It?? Can I Repair the Bad Sections Of Wire And If So How?? Help,!!!!! I Just Bought This Thing And Wife Is Ready To Kill!!!!!!

dblok4eva

Cadet
Re: wiring help

hi, i had the same problem with my 69 65hp all the internal wires were coroded and falling apart and i dont have the funds to purchase a new internal harness what i did was made a diagram of the color wire and where they went then disconnected all of them and removed the internal harness then i cut the boot of the harness down about an inch to exposes the wires in the rubber and did each wire one by one color coding them spliced the wire and soldered on new wire used heat shrink or electrical tape and made it look like new (well kinda) lol and well it works fine for me

maineiac5586

Chief Petty Officer

how bout the wires coming from under the flywheel to the switchbox? these arent part of the harness are they? arent they molded into the stator or something? how hard to remove harness?? is there a lot of stuff in the way? it seems like harness plug is buried down there pretty good. are there other wires still on motor after removing harness?? what kind of wire did you use and what guage for the small wires?? did you use different colored wires for every wire? sorry for so many questions but I want to get this right. did you consider replacing the whole harness with a new one??

dblok4eva

Cadet

well i used 12g wire but i didnt use different color u put tape on each wire and wrote the color it was the plus is not that hard to get out there are 2 10mm or 3/8mm not 100% bolts right on top holding a bracket and then it comes right out. te wire from the flywheel should be the stator wires (i havent had mine apart that far so i dont know how they are connected) but they are 1 of 2 ways , they either lead straight to the stator with no coating that you MIGHT be able to replace the wires or its coated and you might have to get a new stator the best way to determine would be to take off the flywheel and look at the stator. if you still dont know after that take a pic. i didnt replace the large neg and pos wires cuz mine were still good. our engines sould be pretty similar mine is a 69 650 dont worry about the questions anything to help a fellow merc man save some cash lol